Roon 1.8 (build 778) Feedback

it actually depends on metadata from the streaming service: Roon is using those for albums not added to your library :wink:

No. It’s still brutal on a 12.9" iPad.

Unfortunately, my respite was temporary. It’s back for me; I spoke to soon. I’m back to my 10” Fire tablet, which is surprisingly good with Roon.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Roon 1.8 sound quality change?

Album display is broken after update, anyone else have that problem?

1 Like

Yes - people with certain types of graphics hardware. See this thread:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, very helpful!

1 Like

I’m in love again with Roon, 1,8 build 778

Huge improvement

5 Likes

I am still having a hard time trying to find an efficient way to add tags to tracks in my library though. If anyone can give me advice… that would be much appreciated. For more info, see: Almost impossible to "Add to tag" more than 99% of the Tracks that are in "My Library"

I just tried all the different cases that you described, not having any issues at all.
Have you tried to add let’s say 3 albums, and create a playlist of 2 tracks of each album.
Then check if behaviour remains the same.
I am afraid that somewhere in the Soundiz transition process, some ‘hidden’ information has not been taking into account.
If the results are still showing the same issue, can you please post some screenshots,
Dirk

1 Like

Can we add a heart to the now playing screen?

5 Likes

Hi Dirk! Thx for taking the time to help me. Here are the results of the test. There is good news, bad news and worse news. First some good news.
(1) When I start by adding an album to my library and afterward I add a track of that album to a playlist, everything works just fine from every possible screen (playlist, now playing, history). No problem at all.
(2) When I choose an album and add just one track of that album to my library: no problem either. I can subsequently tag the track from anywhere I want.
Now some bad news (at least for me and the way I enjoy music).
(3) When, while playing (e.g. from a genre on my home page), I add a track to my library (without first going to the album): same problem as before. I can not tag the track while playing, nore in the playlist or in the history screen.
OK, so I guess I would need to add all the albums of all the tracks in my collection to my library (joy!), and after that I can enjoy the full functionality of tagging. However…
Here comes the worst news:
(4) I go to a track in my library. A track that is on an album that is not yet in my library. I decide to add that album to my library… because that will unlock the full possibilities of tagging. Unfortunately: this does not work as (I think) it should. The wheel next to the “play now” button keeps on spinning (I waited twenty minutes). And the situation stays more or less as before: I can not tag the track from the now playing or the playlist screen. However, when I go to my history screen, even when the wheel is still turning, I can add the track to a tag from there (the track I just played and that was already in my library and of which the album is still ‘being added’ to my library), The album with the spinning wheel also appears under My Library > Albums while the wheel is still spinning. (Are you still with me?) More than eight hours later, I check again in the album screen the album I was trying to add to my library. The wheel has stopped spinning (and is replaced by the contours of a heart). But: the track on that album can still not be added to a tag from the now playing or the playlist screen.

The test playlist I made contains now 68 tracks. None of the tracks were in my library before. Eight of the tracks have been added to my library ‘in the right way’, i.e. first to the album screen, and adding the complete album or the track to my library from there. Sixty have been added to my library in ‘the wrong way’, i.e. without first going to the album screen. I add the entire test playlist to a tag (‘Test’). I go to My Library > Tracks and focus on the ‘Test’ tag. Only the eight that were added ‘in the right way’ appear.

It is possible to recognize the tracks that have been added to my library in ‘the wrong way’: the column ‘Date added’ (in whatever screen) is empty. The tracks that have been added in ‘the right way’, have a date in the ‘Date added’ column.

Conclusion so far? You certainly helped me in further narrowing down what the problem seems to be. I am afraid it is not Soundiiz (for the test I used tracks that have never been transfered using Soundiiz). It’s more likely that it follows from the basic architecture of the Roon database which is built around albums. Or is this just a bug that can be fixed? If you have further suggestions, please feel free! It would certainly be interesting to see if you (or anyone else) run(s) into the same problems when you conduct a similar test.

Yup A lot of the older Intel processors running integrated graphics got kicked in the teeth by B778. Roon is aware, and I’m sure will provide another build to fix the issue, but for now…

1 Like

Completely agree!

Hi François
Could you ellaborate in more detail what is the wrong way you added tracks to your library?
Dirk

Blinding “white screen” from iPad wake up
iPad Roon functions SLOWLY. Noticeable delays when doing anything.
My Euphony server now uses quite a bit more processor than it did b4 this release.
I’ll live til the fix. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Dirk! ‘The wrong way’ is: I choose a track that is not yet in my library. In my case that would be a Tidal track. I hit the three dots. I add it to my library. If I do it in this ‘wrong way’, it is subsequently not possible to add this track to a tag (unless I first go to My Library > Tracks and add the tag from there). If I add the same track to a playlist and I add the entire playlist to a tag (say ‘Test’), the track will not show up when I go to My Library > Tracks > focus on the tag ‘Test’. Is this clear?

1 Like

Unfortunately, you are overlooking something.

When you e.g. play a Tidal album/track and click ‘add to library’ , you are still listening to the ‘original’ Tidal track not in your Library.
I.e. that when the album/track is finished, the ‘listening’ count of your Library track will still be zero.
Only when you would stop listening, switchover to your Library, select the album/track and start to play from there, the ‘listening’ counter will be increased.

The same is in fact happening here.
You are adding a tag to the track that you selected to be added to your Library, but it is still the Tidal track. I wonder if Roon tries to add the tag to your Library track if adding the album/track to your Library is completed finished and ackknowleded, but I seriously doubt it.
It is also not easy to test this out with 100% certainty).

Also, if you add a track to your Playlist, without adding it first to your Library, it is the Tidal track that is in the playlist, not your Library tag.
In my opinion, for Roon to be consistent, Roon should add the Playlist tracks to your Library itself, and check that before actually performing your ‘tagging’ action.

I just performed a small test.

I selected a Qobuz (I do not use Tidal) track, not in my Library, and added it to a new playlist
Adter doing this, the track itself is not yet added to My Library, and I cannot add a tag to it.
Normal Roon behaviour.

This means it is the Qobuz track added to the playlist, not my Library track.
And I cannot add tags to tracks not in my Library.

Now I go to Playlist browser, select my playlist and look at the specific track.
I still see the same results - track not in my Library and I cannot add a tag to it

However, the playlist itself can be added to a Tag

If I do so, and switch to Tag Browser to verify where tags are allocated to I see:

1. the Tag applied to the Playlist, is only showing the Playlist, nothing else
  2. the actual track still has no tags.

All this is normal behaviour.

Everything in Roon can have a tag. I.e. if you add a tag to a playlist, the tag is really added to the Playlist name, not to the content of that playlist.

If you would like to add a tag to all tracks in your Plylist, you have to Select All your tracks in your playlist, and then select add to tag (at the top level right from the Play Now field).
This will only be possible for tracks in your library!!!
So, in your previous described case, 8 tracks in your Library would accept to be tagged, the remaining tracks (not in your Library) will not accept the tag.

Maybe not what you wnat/like, but I hope it is more or less clear now?

Dirk

3 Likes

Hi Dirk! Thanks once again. I think I understand. So, a good ‘procedure’ would be: (1) always start by putting a track in your library, (2) never assume that if (immediately) afterward, you want to tag that track or put it in a playlist, that Roon will be aware that it (obviously) is the library track that you want to put in the playlist or add to a tag, (3) instead, go to My Library > Tracks, find the track there and put it under whatever tag or in whatever playlist you want. After (3) everything will go smoothly…
Does this seem like a correct way to put it?
And yes, you are right in thinking that this is not what I like. What a hassle!
Plus: all the tracks that are in my Tidal playlists (which I have converted to local copies)… have clearly not been added following the ‘correct’ procedure. Despite the fact that for every track in every playlist, there exists a Roon library version as well (because I favored them in Tidal). However, during import, Roon put the Tidal versions in the playlists, not the library versions… So, if I go into one of those playlists and I want to tag a track… that is only possible by again going to My Library > Tracks, find the track there, etc.
Again: what a hassle!
Do you think I need to learn to live with it because it’s part of the Roon database philosophy/structure?
Or does it seem unnecessarily complicated to you too?

Anyhow. Nice weekend to you & thanks for your time & effort.

1 Like

I also feel sometimes it is quite some hassle, and I do believe some optimisations are possible.
The simplest one is to allow to tag something which is not in your Library, and adding it to the Library itself.

Yes this seems for now the correct way.

You will need to (learn to) live with it. You can always do a feature request, but success rate of fullfilment is unpredictable.

Dirk

1 Like