Roon 1.8 (build 778) Feedback

Yeah I like Roon, I really do…but after having it for 4 months now, I believe I would rather have a music experience that works every single time.

Roon works for a lot of people. And according to Roon, this was the most successful update ever. I know its not rock solid for me…so every once and a while i plug up a ssd and connect it to my Lumin. And I play tidal via the Lumin app. No skips or tidal loading slow messages.

Its really nice not to worry about what troubleshooting I have to do.

The Lumin app is not as feature rich as Roon. Not even close. But it works well enough, but most importantly to me, the music doesn’t stop.

3 Likes

100% agree. It is a shame that the stability of the product is being compromised, being one of the main reasons why many of us paid for the software. Hopefully they can solve the problem and implement better testing before releasing new versions.

1 Like

When I look at the composition view for Mendlessohns Violin Concerto, Roon tells me that Alina Ibragimova is the fourth to top performer. When I click on her picture, there are no recordings by her. I only have Qobuz. Is this right? What’s the point of showing popular performers that I have no access to.

I like concertos. Many concertos have a soloist - a violist, a cellist, a pianist. The soloist is fundamental to choosing a recording. Yet very often in the composition view Roon doesn’t show the soloist, only the orchestra. Here’s the top four Roon suggestions for the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto. Only one shows the soloist. The artwork is too small to be legible on my iPad Pro. The name of the soloists are available in the metadata. The name of the piece is repeated unnecessarily so there is plenty space to show larger artwork or the name of the soloist especially if you got rid of the much less useful “Appears on” and “Performed” text.

3 Likes

On an iPad the Roon song progress bar is so close to the iPad app slider skinny bar that it is very tricky to use. Could it be moved up a little?

4 Likes

Qobuz is my only streaming service, I have no local albums by/with Alina Ibragimova and…

might be one of those “search glitches” reported/discussed in other threads

But there are no albums with Alina Ibramivoga playing the Mendelssohn violin concerto, despite Roon listing her as a top performer for that work, which was the problem I raised.

Whether this is a bug or intended useful behaviour is debatable. You could argue that she is a top performer of that work regardless of whether her performance is represented on a Qobuz. Alternatively you could argue that it’s of no use to someone with Qobuz to offer her as a top performer of that work when there will be nothing there when you click through. Since the soloist is often not shown at all in the listing of performances this is particularly unhelpful.

As I’ve said, it would be much more useful to me to show the soloist for a concerto in the list of recordings, and/or enlarge the artwork so it was at least legible on a tablet.

this is the album you are looking for but… seems it is not available on Qobuz

why Roon mentions Alina Ibragimova as top performer (in another album’s credits)… I believe it comes from metadata/editorial contents
personally I find it useful even if/when only way to listen an album/performance is… buying it
YMMV

There is a big unused space top right?

1 Like

No there isn’t :grinning:

5 Likes

so… always on a single line, just the way it already is when no editorial content is there :wink:
sorry @AndersVinberg :stuck_out_tongue:

Well the album title font does not have to be 40 points, the album title could linebreak earlier (it even does in my example for no reason at all :slight_smile: ), and the version could become a part of this table

1 Like

Hello guys, I love Roon and I was happy with the latest release till recently. Now I have the app (on windows/iPad/iPhone) crashing constantly. Search is very slow also.

Everything is connected via cable (iPhone and iPad excluded, obviously).

No changes in the infrastructure, only software updates.

Ideas?

Thanks guys!

The search issues have become a real problem. I just had one search time out completely and then take 15 seconds when re-run, and there is a whole my too thread dedicated to it.
Not sure why you would suddenly be getting crashes. It might be worth shutting down the whole network from the router back and then working back up based on what needs to be running and seeing how that goes.

2 Likes

Thanks Michael, I can’t tell why but every 3 minutes or less I get a crash. I restarted my network/server/apps… no improvements…

Is your Core also on the same PC/Mac?
So does it crash if you use a mobile phone or tablet as the controller.
If you use Task manager or it’s like can you see heavy CPU or memory usage.
Just trying to point you in the right direction until someone from @support can respond

And that’s really appreciated. Apparently it’s not rare, I found another thread with many people with the same issue.
Maybe it’s hardware (Mac in my case) related.
My core is a MacBook Air (intel) used only as a server. I don’t see strange behaviors but I will investigate further. Thanks mate, I hope to be able to share better news soon…

1 Like

I dealt with a similar issue a month ago. So to be clear, you have your core and server on that 2012 MacBook Air? What are you using as a remote to control everything? Are you using another Mac or an iPad, etc…? And does the crash occur if you are using a different remote? Basically, what fixes my issue on my iMac was having Roon create new files it needs but I had to move some old Roon files first so new ones get written

Hey, I do have a MacBook Air 2012 as server, yes. As remote I used alternatively iPhone, iPad or a windows laptop. iPhone and iPad are keep crushing. The laptop seems to be a little more stable.

What do you mean about new files? Which files are you referring to?

I dont know what you have tried yet so forgive me if my first suggestions sound dumb or obvious :grin: The first thing I would do is sign out of the iPhone and iPad remotes, delete the Roon apps on both of them, then reinstall the Roon apps and sign back in. I would try that first and see if it helps at all.

If it doesn’t then you may have to reinstall the Ronn core and Roon server on the MacBook Air (after backing up your Roon library). This is where I was talking about new files. You need to delete or move some Roon related files because re-installing Roon Core and Roon Server won’t overwrite them. Same as if you try to reinstall the Roon app on your windows computer. We can go there later if you need to. But for now try erasing and re-installing the iPad and iPhone apps and see if that changes anything.