Roon 1.8 (Build 846) Feedback - Linux Performance Improvements

Open Roon on your iPad. It will pop up.

Working a treat on my Antipodes S40. Feels much quicker to respond to inputs.

1 Like

Thanks for this, was great testing the beta version.

Strangely enough my Chord Electronics 2Go has performed wonderfully for 3 straight days without a single dropout on Roon.

Only change has been the Roon software update.

Anyone else seeing better performance on wifi?

2 Likes

Using Sonic Transporter i9. Roon seems to run a bit snappier but still have lagging issues when switching between tracks. Can take up to 10 seconds for a song to start playing. Was hoping I’d see improvement here but not the case. Hopefully they’re still working on this issue.

AudioLinux Roon server updated with no hiccups. Noticed marked improvements in responsiveness. Snappy.

Reinstalled AudioLinux, just to have a fresh install with this update. No problems. Still snappy.

Intel i7-3820; 32GB DDR3 RAM; also running samba server; 180k tracks. This update was really welcome.

I think the better performance is really notorious from 80.000–100.000 tracks onwards. This was the threshold where I before used to experience performance degradation. I am now at 215.000 tracks, and for the last 5 days the new Roon Server for Linux has performed admirably, under constant heavy use.

It also is a clear example that throwing faster processors or more RAM at a badly-behaved server application doesn’t really make sense. My RAM usage now is at 4 GB +/- 10%. The Remote application on an iMac feels snappy and all previously experienced performance problems seem to have gone away.

1 Like

Interesting. I wish I could remember when I saw the performance hits. I know I felt forced to move the server from a newer i3 NUC to the older i7 machine (8GB RAM to 32GB) at around 150k. That helped with the slowness a lot. AudioLinux gets updated a lot, it seems, so it’s probably too confounded to guess. I’m happy now, though.

Upgrade went well on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS running as a VM on ESXi 6.7u3.
Seems a little snappier and I see it using less memory.
Thanks!

I’m using the same Docker image and the update worked just fine for me as well. But I do not use the GUI at all due to that it is running in a headless environment.
What is good is that using a Docker image I’m able to serve roon clients in different subnets using Docker macvlan driver.

I run the Roon core on a Sonictransporter i5 and I can report SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT in file scanning speed and library updates. Consider this user very pleased with this update.

1 week in and the mem usage has held pretty solid around 6 gig phyiscal. Playback performance is improved.

1 Like

I can confirm this. This server update really has made me recover confidence in Roon’s capabilities. I can now log out of my monitoring terminal session and simply assume that Roon is doing well.

2 Likes

Responsiveness is certainly improved!

1 Like

I’ve noticed my Sonic Transporter i9 runs better. But I do still get a lot of lagging switching between songs after 35 seconds in. Things like library scanning seems much smoother too. This is nice as I have a library with nearly 300K tracks. The only main issue is the lagging which I hope will be addressed with the next update.

Thanks!