Roon 1.8 (Build 880) Feedback Thread

My Daily Mixes:

And my first 3 are:

Very different from yours, and so obviously tailored for each user.

Yup, Genres for you is definitely based on my listening:

Not sure about Recommended Artists though; I actively avoid Dire Straits and Phil Collins :grinning:

1 Like

Yes more targeted here too, but still off the mark.
Most of my listening is deep techo, or experimental/ambient techo, followed by Jazz, jazz fusion, and indie folk.

These daily mixes are on and off the mark… But its much closer.

I simply ask the question:
Why present/offer Roon playlists, if they are not appropriate to listening preferences?!

The failure to provide playlists for some pretty significant genres (Like experimental Techo - which I mostly listen to) seems to be the result of playlist targeting to more conservative listeners.

1 Like

Clearly significant to you, but I wonder to how many others? My guess is that Roon Labs are starting with Playlists driven by the tastes of the majority at the moment. Personally I can’t stand Jazz, so all the Jazz Playlists are irrelevant as far as I’m concerned… :grinning:

The latest version of Roon has really helped solve some networking issues for me. I have a whole (eclectic) bunch of Sonos gear downstairs which previously suffered from latency and sync issues. Much, much better now!

Only thing that caught me out was that Roon altered the port in the URL for displays this time around! I had a bunch of automations around the home for switching to Roon displays when music was playing etc. that went a bit screwy after this release. Not a huge problem, but took half an hour to track down and resolve.

Good release overall, this one.

1 Like

Clearly that’s what’s happening.

But there are many large genres not covered.

Metal, Techo, etc.

I’m fine if they aren’t covered, but just give me a means to turn the playlist tiles off.

For that matter, being able to hide/unhide (activate/disable) all home screen tiles would be a good idea.

For instance these tiles have no place on my home screen:

I might have listened to Dire Straits for 10minutes in the last 3-4 years using Roon.

3 Likes

1 Like

Yes, same list for everyone. It’s the Daily Mixes and Genres for You that are being driven by your listening habits…

I think if you compare to Spotify and Tidal for a paid music library you’d expect it to be the best of the best.

What Roon clearly need is an investment in content creators especially for the younger audiences, after all they will be the future of Roon.
Even at 61 I find the Roon suggestions are not on point for me, Tidal and Spotify do a far better job.

Add to that a platform architect to recreate the platform for modern devises like ipad etc.

4 Likes

I 100% agree.
The software should cater for all demographics and listening preferences.
A simple playlist checklist would fix this issue.

Set your preferences, and then Roon can adjust recommendations/playlists.

If the playlists can’t be improved, please provide a show/hide function next to <> more which allows users to hide this function.

2 Likes

Daily Mixes

Every day, Valence produces six unique 25-track mixes for each Roon user. Each mix is themed on an artist that features prominently in the user’s listening history

Why is this not looking at the whole content of my library?
Surly that’s what I enjoy, just using history is going to limit the selection, and if I don’t have classical or jazz in my library i clearly have no intrest in it, the genres are a great clue.

5 Likes

From what you are writing, I listen to similiar genres in general. But my taste of music is very broad. I am always interested in new things (to that regard I found the Fado playlist interesting for example). The Daily mix and the genres are KI personalised even if they not always hit the mark. By the way: Try the HAZY playlist - a great compilation of down tempo which I think you will enjoy.

I think the playlists could be something entirely different. They could become more like a music magazine hand curated by real human beings with KI support. Picking different genres and time periods etc. and just a lot better from what one usually gets from TIDAL etc. (maybe even adding written content to go with the playlist)- I would be very interested!

2 Likes

Erm… Nope!

Still getting six mixes that are virtually identical to all previous mixes since the introduction of this… ah… feature (for lack of a better word).

'M not seeing the point of cluttering up the home screen with this.

2 Likes

Rather than an Roon provided Playlists and Mixes, could I have my own Playlists back, please?
For each concert attended in the last 6-years I would use the set list performed to create a Playlist, as an insight into an Artist’s back catalogue, what they want to perform and the memory of the concert event. This is different to a Live recording or a bootleg recording, but the studio tracks from my local library. This was nearly a hundred set list related Playlists.
With this issues with B880/B882 these are now lost.

3 Likes

Hi. I’m stuck with RoonServer (Desktop in the picture) saying “Download in progress”… since a few hours !!!
I’ve tried rebooting the Desktop but nothing more.
Do I have to wait more ?

Thanks

Try downloading and installing the app directly from Roon Software Downloads - PC, Mac, Linux, Android & iOS | Get it Now

3 Likes

Thanks a lot. It worked

3 Likes

Unfortunately, after an evening with music I’m now back to the same old loss of connection issues.

1 Like

“Fixed it” again by re-installing the OS. Wonder how long this “fix” will work?

1 Like