Roon 1.8 (Build 884) is Live

Without wanting to derail the topic, but, Amen Brother :laughing:

1 Like

Agreed. Back on to the topic of moaning about Roon! Unfortunately Iā€™m pretty satisfied so I ought to bow out!

1 Like

I did the Build 884 update right after it was announced. Iā€™ve had no problems, but I did have to shut down Roon and restart to get my laptop to connect to the Nucleus.

2 Likes

Me too. The only positive side effect of the update problems is that additional people seem to be visiting the forumsā€¦for obvious reasons. I hope some of them decide to hang around as it would be great to increase the number of active forum members.

4 Likes

No problem at all for me, build 880, 882, and 884 all work perfectly. My Roon core is the Nucleaus.

3 Likes

My NUC core server updated fine. No update yet for Android phone or tablet. They are still running 880.

Updated & after an initial crash followed by a core reboot everything is up and running & no further problems :pray:t3:

Samesies here.

I totally agree, well done Roon. I am sure Roon considered the change control process with required backup in place. Happy holidays, everyone

1 Like

You did see this in the release notes?

While some of these issues only occur under extremely specific (and uncommon) conditions, others should have never seen the light of day. Weā€™re investigating how this happened, so we can ensure it does not occur again.

[My emphasis.] In other words, there is a bug in the release qualification process which they are looking into. Meanwhile, hereā€™s another release.

2 Likes

So donā€™t apply it, itā€™s not mandatory.

This threads great, lol, poor devā€˜s: damned if you do, and damned if you donā€™t.

Iā€˜ve just checked my diary, and Monday 10 Jan would work for me for the next update. Thanks :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

My suggestion to members suffering from nightmares due to being prey to rolling software updates at an ungodly hour would be to always keep an alternative route of playback handy - it would make their life, and mine, a lot more comfortable.

Happy Christmas yā€™all
(and to the ones always finding a fly in the ointment, please remember what Christmas is actually about)

3 Likes

Right? Damn devsā€¦ why u work so hard and try to fix issues? Canā€™t you let us suffer some more?

But seriously. Update on Late 2014 Mac Mini running Monterey 12.1 without any issues.

Software engineers would totally agree with @Chris_Davis2, they are taking quite a risk here. Or you can take his comment as a joke. Either way, you need to lighten up a bit.

3 Likes

Your thinking is old school. Sorry but it is. Iā€™ve worked many philosophies on deployments and weighing customer interruption. The old rules donā€™t apply anymore. The software releases when its ready. Iā€™ve even worked true CI/CD workflows (although very rare) and releases occur at all kinds of times across all kinds of days and holidays depending on who pushed an update into the build system.

Nothing here seems risky. No ones life is in danger if this goes bad. A few additional folks will have their systems restored in time for the long weekend and Roon should be applauded for that. Itā€™s really that simple.

You, as a user, have the option to turn off auto updates and wait until Monday. Merry Christmas.

6 Likes

He turned water into wineā€¦ wowā€¦ I can turn wine into waterā€¦ itā€™s a piece of piss :joy:

Just updated my Roon on Qnap. No issues hereā€¦

4 Likes

I guess my work team is old school. I canā€™t blame them.

So is mine. And I blame them every day :slight_smile:

But, weā€™re getting better so thatā€™s nice.

1 Like

Itā€™s Roon, an audio player, not your pacemaker.

9 Likes