Roon 1.8 (Build 911) Feedback Thread

My downloads were fast, less then a minute. Perhaps it’s an AWS regional issue. I live in the Pacific NW.

Yes; mine used to be very fast. The last four or five (in SoCal) alarmingly slow :frowning: .

I just timed a second Win PC (Remote) download, it was 48 seconds.

Three or four minutes in the UK.

Hmmm; I must be getting a bad node - as @Vincent_Kennedy suggests.

Worth contacting Roon support about?

Possibly, but if other people are getting good speeds it indicates a problem at your end rather than theirs. Do you have the same problem if you download the latest version directly from Roon?

1 Like

Thanks, Dave!

Great idea. Yes. Just the same. Have started a download now - and its estimated finish time is after a further 25 minutes, from that address.

No VPN etc active; other similar downloads (e.g. software updates for other apps) happening very quickly.

Update: I activated my VPN and got a manual download in less than a minute (44s) from ‘Canada’.

Not sure what I can do about it. AT&T :frowning:

3 Likes

I think what we were discussing is that @Mark_Sealey is in SoCal. I am in Oregon. Perhaps there’s an issue with the AWS regional site he’s connecting to versus the one I connect to.

He’s probably connecting to the same AWS region whether through the app or connecting directly. Most likely being directed by his geolocation to the same site.

1 Like

I think you are starting to further prove our hypothesis about your SoCal AWS region.

My Team works in Azure, so I’m not familiar with AWS regions.

1 Like

Looks like it, doesn’t it, @Vincent_Kennedy; thanks. Yes.

Pragmatically, I can simply turn on the VPN every time I need to update Roon. But it’d be nice to know what else can be done. I doubt Amazon would be much help, sorry to say.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip to use a VPN… updating my Mac remotes was incredibly slow… so, connecting via VPN to a Miami server, all was done in a minute.

Roon Core on linux updated without VPN very fast… go figure!

1 Like

Well done, @Andreas_Philipp1 !

It does seem (all other things being equal) as though there may be a persistent (my last three or four updates - each one, as they appear; so since 898) problem with AWS in certain parts of the US.

I am located in Colombia and this was the first time I noticed a very very slow update in the download phase. And, as I said, only for the Mac Remotes, but not so for the Core on Ubuntu Linux…

1 Like

Big congrats to @danny and the tech team! With this release it’s amazing how the optimization in streaming / buffering infrastructure improved overall audio performance.

2 Likes

Patience is virtue.

Same for me (Android 10 / Galaxy S7) too dark in both themes, other apps are fine (compared with Qobuz):

Add images

Performance on iPhones and IPads has been and continues to be fine for me. This includes different hardware and software versions for both products.

1 Like

Installed newest updates on Mac book pro 2015, Ipad pro gen1, Old surface pro, 2 Iphones, old samsung tab, Pi2 Ropiee, and Innuos zenith streamer. Happy to report this has been the smoothest and possibly best sounding version yet. I actually turned off the Squeezbox and running through the RAAT and i am extremely pleased. Sorry to hear about any issues folks are having but every time i download an update i keep expecting to lose use of another controller somewhere and i am very excited when things still work. I have no desire to replace any of my electronics everything works just great. Thank you.

1 Like

On my iPad the latest update has brought back the scrolling problems. The text is very reluctant to stay where you want it and it jumps about randomly. I say “brought back” because the previous release seemed to have cured it on my iPad. :thinking:

How come I did not have the slightest problems with my really huge Roon environment on different iPhones, iPadPros, Macbook, iMacs, MacMinis (Intel & M1)? The „server“ is made of a four years old INTEL i7 NUC running ROCK and a first gen WD myCloud device containing about 90.000 flac / dsd tracks of different resolutions.

After subscribing Tidal HiFi Plus a year ago I do enjoy the seamless expansion of my music library which, in my opinion, has been achieved extremely successful by the Roon developers.

I’m aware that Roon now has a gigantic device zoo, possibly too big for a small company that did not expand accordingly?