Roon 1.8 (Build 936) Feedback

With build 935; Android 7 and 8 for phone and tablet is working. Thanks for the effort Br

Another vote for slightly less updates. Perhaps bundle the minor releases into a weekly/monthly update?

Constant iteration makes sense in the software development world when the end user is not highly aware of the changes (Iā€™m thinking of the web)ā€¦ but Roon updates are visible, require an interaction and interrupt listening. (Plus on my aging hardware; I find my search is unusable when its doing the background rescan after a reboot).

I guess we can skip and ignore these, and perhaps thatā€™s what Iā€™ll have to start doing.

4 Likes

Seems snappier to me, no issues. Loving the faster updates :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@support. Android remote on pixel 4 has now locked up completely on now playing and wonā€™t get out of this state. Fully killing the app doesnā€™t help nor clearing the cache. Something very broken here. Looks like a full data clear or reinstall is the only way.

I still canā€™t write in those blank fields since the last few updatesā€¦
The picture is taken from the track editor, not the album editor.
Same behaviour from core or remote.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Just to be clear is the server being updated like daily at the moment or is my Docker borked?

IOS update for Build (935) finally showed up this morning. 36 hours is the longest itā€™s taken to appear in the app store. Probably difference between Hot Fix and scheduled change.

1 Like

I havenā€™t edited for one or two weeks or so, but yes I experienced this as well then.
I worked around it somehow. IIRC it did not work for single tracks but did work for a multi-selection of tracks and luckily that was an option for the edits I had to make.

I support fixing it in time for my next batch of edits! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve had minor graphical issues with all the recent releases.

On my Mac laptop, the color background to a tag or focus item is not fixed during scrolling. This has been an issue for a few releases now. Hereā€™s a screen shot showing the tag background out of place:

Scrolling on iPad and iPhone stutters more or less from one release to the next. Scrolling was smoothest for me with Build 911.

Artwork has got really slow at loading on discography section. Anyone else seeing this tonight? Was ok earlier.

2 Likes

Slower than usual here as well (east coast USA).

Cannot play Qobuz anymore+ Iphone app is crashing
A disaster

Add im

ages

Yes. I am experiencing this. There are several threads now on this. I am experiencing a general deterioration in the functionality of many editing screens. Roon editing was always clunky but on some screens some common editing features are now border-line unusable. Just now I wanted to add some missing album art. Because there are no longer any scrolling arrows on the album art editor it took over 30 finger gestures to get to the bottom of a folder list so I could add the album pic. These scroll bars have gone missing from many screens making editing and roon customization quite a trial at the moment.

Yep I donā€™t understand why they have gone nothing seems to have been done to address it months since they went from the device settings screens. Its just one mess after another. Was it conscious choice to remove them if so bad idea. If not then how can this be happening to more areas itā€™s just crazy. Are they outsourcing more work feels like it. The QA has nosedived and from my experience outsourcing tends to have that affect if not managed properly.

1 Like

Alas, even more problems with IOS build 935 loaded this morning.

No Artwork/Buttons

The same album, unable to get out of lyrics page, tapping ā€œxā€ reverts to blank screen & no buttons available? This has happened a few times & restarting the app is the quickest, irritating, work around.
When the following track started the screen refreshed and everything reappeared.
On top of that Roon is very sluggish now, taking 3-4 seconds to respond to any instructions.

Slow to load here as well. Slow last night an slow to load this morning.

I get that blank screen so often on Android remotes I come back to Roon to check something and the now playing that was on before switching to use phone for something else just shows blank. I posted a ticket for this probably 2 years ago no comeback.

Thatā€™s worrying, things have been reasonably good for me until today, hopefully this will get some attention.

I almost never get that now, which makes me wonder if it is memory related. I have turned off memory and battery optimisation for Roon on my Android phone and it is great.
My iphone and iPad pro on the other hand, just restart non stop.
Very frustrating.

But why does it use so much resources.no other app works like this they are not closed done, lock screen works all the time. Roons lockscreen just stops connecting after a while and itā€™s because itā€™s killed the connection in the BG. As soon as I turn off battery optimisation my phones drained and is forcebly closed more frequently. I do think that both iOS and Android apps not being native is the root cause of all these crap user experiences as you donā€™t see them on more native apps, they seem to be managed well.

How do you turn off memory management I only see battery optimization.

I only use a few apps and swipe away ones I am not using . It will do this behaviour with just Roon and the forum open.

One more issue is roaming. The app really doesnā€™t like it. As I have few aps covering the entire house when I move upstairs it will loose the now playing screen and have to rereconnect on bringing to fg. All other apps are seamless. I guess it being a server client setup is what causes this as opposed to just the internet between the app.