Roon 1.8 (Build 943) Feedback

Same here (iPad Air 2 running iPadOS 15.4.1), and, my iPhone (XR) Roon remote does the same exact thing. No problems with the macOS remote app, and no problems with system playback or otherwise. Nucleus Rev B core, with all devices on B943. I’m not a new Roon user, but had never seen this before this build. IIRC I would only see the animated jellyfish logo during any brief delay when returning to the iOS Roon app before. Really more of a minor annoyance than anything, but hopefully resolved in the next release.

More feedback regarding Apple iPad + Magic Keyboard:

When writing longer search strings, the music is often paused (not always, but so far about 50 - 75% of the time). I have to manually click play again to continue listening. This is happening, because spacebar acts as a global pause key, no matter if the cursor is in an input field or not.

It should obviously be context aware, so only when not in any input field, it should act as a global pause key.

Also peculiar. I never saw this previous to this release using the Magic Keyboard. Unfortunately I can’t remember if the spacebar acted as a global pause key in previous releases or not.

No focus should remain until it’s removed, but I see this behaviour with book marks perhaps this is as designed I can’t remember not something that’s jumped out at me before.

If you go back to the focussed album page using the navigation arrows the focus will stick, but it’s removed if you select Albums from the hamburger menu. I’m fairly sure this hasn’t changed, but may well be misremembering.

I’m also finding bad scrolling on most pages since the update on my Android phone. Already reported the bad one on tracks but getting stuttery scroll on tracks in albums as well.

Have you checked on the app storage size and cache on your phone?
Checked mine after your stuttering video and it’s close to 14GB used :scream_cat:

The issue with the space bar as global pause key is extremely annoying!

Yes that’s the behavior now, I just thought that it also stuck when going through the hamburger. But not sure either! :crazy_face:

It’s just that I generally tend to focus on certain things for a while, often weeks or months. Right now I have a bookmarked focus on a bunch of artists and that’s all I am interested in for now, so a sticky bookmark whenever I go to albums would be more convenient. Instead of having to choose the bookmark every time. I don’t remember thinking this until recently, but now i do, hence asking myself if it changed

1 Like

1.09gb used in total, I clear the cache after every Roon app update as it’s helped with the odd issues in the past. It seems to be when I leave the app for a while then use it intensely for a bit it just starts to exhibit it. Although the scroll issue I posted the other day is all the time. I think this phone and Roon just don’t get along anymore.

Ok throw that idea out then…
But then again no issues on my phone at all, even with almost 14GB of storage used.
That does seem excessive though.

I was tempted to clear it out, but I really don’t want to join you guys with issues, so no tempting fate for the moment.

Are you still on the Pixel 4A?
That phone has 4GB or 6GB memory

6gb, but as said only issues I ever get is Roon. 6gb is pretty standard even for flagship phones Apples been having 6gb in its pro phones. A phone should not need more. If Roons needing more it’s excessive for an app. Is Android that memory hungry these days?

Anyway it looks like I am going to need to upgrade as this is happening all the time now.

6GB on iPhone is not the same as 6GB on am Android phone. iOS is written much closer to the Metal and Android is written Mostly as Java Virtual Machine making it more portable but also requiring more memory to deal with that.

6GB on the low side now as most current flagship Android phones has 8, 12 or even 16GB of memory (I think 8GB feels more equivalent to my slightly older iPhone model’s).

I know my phone swaps Apps to ram Disk when it takes them out of memory (it has 12GB).
Roon seems to be about the most taxing app I have used on any mobile platform. Which seems both crazy and about right at the same time, but it’s clearly not overly efficient, but it also deal’s with huge amounts of images that we want to smoothly scroll through at high speed. The OnePlus 9 pro might be the only device I have used that doesn’t become bogged down. Both the 7 Pro and 8 dis to so some extent (they are still in the household use so I get to test every now and then. I don’t have the latest iPhone or iPad as mine are a couple of year’s old, but the complaining in the threads suggest they also struggle.

They need to address this, no app should be that taxing. One should not have the top model of phone or tablet to be able to run what’s is the essential part, the remote. The core is supposed to be doing the heavy lifting and the app should be lightweight. Isn’t that what we are sold on. For me the Andorid experience has been getting steadily worse since 1.8.

1 Like

Not just the Android experience, if you see the iphone and iPad complaints.

Hopefully they are slowly getting on track with the more rapid release cycle, though only time will tell and things could get worse before they really start to improve.

I am hopeful :pray:

Someone has to be.

Since latest update, both my iPads fail to find the core unless Roon is already playing, having been launched on my MacBook Pro.

Due to remodeling I haven’t been able to use my system since January. I turned off the Mac Mini I use as a server at the time so it was however many builds behind as have been developed since then. Fired up the system today for the first time in 4 months, told Roon yes when asked if I wanted to update everything and off it went. So far everything is working as expected, all 4 endpoints are online without coaxing and I’m already used to having the Magic Keyboard on my iPad working. Thanks Roon.

4 Likes

This is how most music and video players operate, spacebar is a play/pause toggle.

Should be simple enough to fix though when an input box has focus.

Im sure they will.