Roon 1.8: Cannot select audio zone

I also have the same issue. Will try to restart the Core to get my system back up and running. I never had this problem before in 1.7.

David - to answer your question. Yes the devices do disappear from Settings - Audio when powered down. However, all the combinations that I mentioned above that are working- work again when powered up again. They also can be selected from the menu as an Audio Zone. The 1 combination of Pi 4 Roipeee XL and Pro-Ject Dac does appear again when powered up but cannot be selected from the menu as an Audio Zone.

Last night I did a backup of my Innuos Statement. During backup time, the Roon core can recognize my Soulnote S-3 dac even I turn it on/off several times without restarting Roon core. However, when the backup finishes this morning, I turn on my S-3 but Roon core cannot show it in the audio zone. Any idea?

Try turning on the dac and then restarting th core.

I lost my squeezelite zones for a few hours today. They dissapeared as zones. They came back without any intervention!

I had a similar issue. In my case I could still Group the lost audio device with something else as in the Group window it was still there. This is just an emergency workaround of course.

The point is, every time I turn on my dac, I need to restart the core to recognize the dac. In 1.7, the core can recognize the dac immediately when the dac is turned on.

Same problem here - Pi4 with DietPi as RoonBridge, Core running on Synology. Need to restart the core whenever the DAC was switched off.

Grouping the Bridge with another zone is indeed a workaround, but not a solution.

I am experiencing this too: audio zones are detected in the settings, but I cannot select them to play music from Roon. This is true for my RopieeXL as well as playing from my iOS device using the iOS Roon remote.

Now I am experiencing this issue with all endpoints that use Roipeee XL or DietPi. I stated earlier that I thought it was device dependent - this is no longer the case. This is a systemic failure and unfortunately should never have been released. The issues we are talking about in this thread are pretty basic to the functionality of Roon. I am not sure how this got released.

I have noticed that if restart the GUI where the Roon core is installed - all of these issues seem to disappear (I do not need to restart the box). I can now select audio zones from the various mobile, desktop and iPad clients that I have.

May be a hot-fix could be made to reboot the core remotely - embarrassing but would help.
If I group a vanished endpoint with a still existing one, both are gone after ungrouping.

I am having the same issue on 1.8

• Core running on Windows 10
  • Airplay and Chromecast Devices remain visible
  • Windows 10 Remote, Oppo UDP-205, Android and iPad Devices disappear and only a Core reboot will restore them. Powering off or stopping remote makes them unavailable as a zone.
  • All devices remain visible in Settings/Audio.
  • All worked fine on 1.7

Really frustrating transition so far.

I don’t have a GUI running on the server. The server does not need to be restarted, just the Roon core. From the Linux command line:

sudo systemctl restart roonserver.service.

This is still a big hassle. I have to turn on my amp and then walk to another room, log into the server and restart the core.

I am getting the same issue with my Pro-Ject Pre Box RS2 Digital Dac which is connected by USB to my Roon Nucleus. I find the DAC in the audio settings and things look normal there. However it is missing in the “select audio zone” menu, where I find my chromecast devices. This worked fine a couple of days after the 1.8 release but stopped working yesterday.

Same issue here. I have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 connected to my iMac via USB. It is not visible as Audio Zone any more - but it is in the settings. Until yesterday it worked fine.

Update: A restart of RoonServer on my Core (Mac Mini) solved the problem for now.

Apologies for the trouble, everyone!

Please see this post:

1 Like