Roon 1.8 continuously crashing since build 778 update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Rock 1.8 (build 778) on Intel 8i5 NUC (8Gb RAM)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Sky Q Router/Cisco 2960 switch - connection by ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn Klimax DS/1 or Sonore microRendu/Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Description Of Issue

I upgraded my core (Rock) and Desktop app to build 778 this morning and initially everything appeared to be ok. However, I now cannot run Roon on my desktop at all - it opens and briefly displays (for less than a second) the album I last selected, but the Roon app then crashes and closes almost immediately.

I can’t imagine why this should be relevant, but Roon was running without a problem until I ran a search for Pink Floyd, and selected ‘Meddle’ from my library. As soon as the ‘Meddle’ album appeared, the Roon app closed and I have not been able to run Roon since then - it crashes and closes almost instantly.

I do not have this problem when using the Roon app on my iPad which is still running the earlier build version because the build 778 for iPads is not yet available.

I have re-booted my NUC and Roon core several times, but no joy. My desktop app is unusable.

If you remove ‘Meddle’ from your library, does that help?

Not a fix, just as a test.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have now re-booted my PC and all is back to normal again with ‘Meddle’ playing in the background as I write.

Strange, but since the problem has gone, my post can be closed.

1 Like

Just discovered that my crashes appear to be related to the fact that I was using a customised theme, and Roon has added an additional line in the theme ‘color’ file in build 778.

Please Roon developers - provide a means of changing theme colours without us having to redo our customised files after virtually every new Roon build!

Yep, I deleted the theme I had and all is well, except now I am looking at the awful purple color again.

You can redo the customisation though.

Roon developers have added 2 additional lines in the ‘colors’ file.

The first is immediately after atom-bluebg-noalpha:

atom-bluebg-noalpha-classical with a value of #242424 (for dark themes) or #EAEBEC (for light themes)

The second added line is at the very bottom of the file after dimlayer:

album-dimlayer with a value of #70%181818 (for dark themes) or #50%ffffff (for light themes).

Just add these lines into your customised ‘Colors’ file and your customised theme should work ok.

Unfortunately, it looks like we will have to do this time and time again whenever Roon developers change the structure of this file.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.