Roon 1.8 crashes with new qobuz albums

Roon ran about 16 hours yesterday without issue. But a crash this morning after about 2.5 hours. I went back to static IP and restarted the Roon server. Will report back.

Static IP crashed after about 30 minutes. Back DHCP.

@noris I uploaded the Log folder to zoho workdrive. I was unable to rename the folder with my username or upload it in zipped format. Latest crash 30 April 2021; 8:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time.
Thanks

1 Like

Hello @Matt_Hansen ,

Thank you for sending the logs + timestamps over and for your patience here while your case reached the queue again.

Looking over the log set, it appears that RoonServer stopped responding suddenly while playing a track without an error message or any other activity happening around the same time.

These kinds of sudden restarts can be indicative of an OS or hardware issue, and since you have already tried to reinstall the OS, have you by any chance performed any kind of checks on the RAM or SSD? For RAM checking you can use Memtest x86 (free version is ok).

Please let us know if this tool displays any error messages, thanks!

Thank you @noris

I don’t know how to run and view the error from this test on my headless ROCK NUC. The SSD is pretty much full. Could that be the issue?

Hello @Matt_Hansen ,

Have you had a chance to run the further RAM and SSD tests?

If it is more than 90% full, yes Roon could be running out of disk space to operate off of, but according to your screenshot it looks to be mostly empty:

If you wish to test the SSD for data integrity errors, you can try to install another OS or boot from a Live Linux environment and perform the SSD integrity check.

If you wish, you can also temporarily host the Roon Core on another PC, to further confirm that the issue only impacts ROCK, you can perform this test by using these intructions:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply @noris
I have not performed any tests of the RAM or SSD because I don’t know how to do that given that the ROCK NUC is “headless”.

Yes, the M.2 has a lot of space but I wondered if the internal music storage being full was an issue. I have freed up about 5% of that SSD and the crashes are less frequent now, maybe every other day instead of twice per day. Perhaps just coincidence.

I will attempt at least one of your other suggested tests.

The live LInux boot might be a way to connect a monitor and perform that RAM test.

I haven’t yet completed a USB drive with Linux, and it may be that my 16 GB is not enough.

Meanwhile, I was playing the new remaster of Deja Vu via Qobuz. Many tracks are 192 Hz and Roon would crash every song or two. Then I tried 192 Hz Frank Zappa via Qobuz, same story. Next, I played two full albums of 192 stored on my drive. No problems whatsoever. Switched back to Qobuz and got thru most of Deja Vu before it crashed again.

Is this maybe a problem with streaming? Maybe my ISP (Comcast is my only choice) is not up to snuff?

I finally have a thumb drive with Linux but have yet to try it.

Meanwhile, Roon ran continuously for almost 50 hours, mostly streaming mp3 quality radio and playing a mix of 16/44 flac from my internal drive and 16/44 from Qobuz. I thought this would be a good opportunity to test whether it really is 24/192 Qobuz streaming related to the crashes. Sure enough, it crashed two songs into the new Deja Vu.

Hi @Matt_Hansen ,

Thank you for looking into this further!

This is very strange, can you please let us know the exact local time + date + track this issue next occurs? I would like to enable a deeper diagnostics mode for your Core afterwards and ask QA to look into the new logs, thanks!

My efforts to install Ubuntu from a thumb drive have flopped, so no diagnostics of the RAM or SSD.

Meanwhile, the evidence continues to mount that the crashes are associated with 24 bit Qobuz streaming (including 48 kHz). Three crashes within about 30 minutes streaming 24/96 and 24/48. Currently playing only 24 bit from my internal drive as a test. No crash so far.

Definitely something about high res Qobuz streaming. I played, without issue for 15 hours, 24 bit files from my SSD. Then switched to 24 bit Qobuz and Roon crashed within 15 minutes. Currently testing 16/44 Qobuz.

Hi @noris

The crashes are very much associated with high res Qobuz streaming. If set Roon focus to play only 24 bit Qobuz, Roon crashes within 20 minutes. But I can stream Qobuz 16/44 or play 24 bit from my SSD without issue.

I really like Qobuz. I guess the fix is to restrict Qobuz to 16/44 and buy the high res files when I really like an album.

Welp, Roon crashed streaming 16/44 Qobuz this morning. Maybe I should again test playback of only files on the internal SSD.

Hello @Matt_Hansen ,

Thank you for looking into this further! I checked with the team and we are investigating an issue when playback of high-resolution Qobuz content can cause an out of memory issue, but it is strange that you mention that the issue is also occurring on 16/44 Qobuz material.

Yes, if you are also able to please try to reproduce the behavior using only your internal SSD content, that would be a very good data point to have, thanks!

Last couple of days I’ve been streaming internet radio or using Roon focus to play files off my internal SSD (ie, no Qobuz). No crashes. Using Roon focus, I just added 24 bit and DSD files. I’ll let it run for a couple of days and report back.

1 Like

Used Roon focus to play -Qobuz +24 bit. Played without issue for 24 hours. Changed it to +Qobuz +24 bit and Roon crashed with 30 minutes. It sure seems related to Qobuz, especially at higher resolution. I have not observed a crash streaming internet radio or playing off the internal storage at any resolution.

Another 12 hours of playing only 24/192 from the internal SSD. No problems. Guess I have to choose between Roon and Qobuz, at least 24 bit Qobuz (which is a big part of its appeal). Cannot see myself giving up Roon so Qobuz it is :sob:

Any chance of going back to Roon 1.7? Really want to keep Qobuz . . .

Hi @Matt_Hansen

Downgrading isn’t supported, be we are currently testing a fix for this issue. I can’t provide any specific timelines just yet, but we’ll be sure to let everyone know as soon as we have more info on this.