Roon 1.8 does not see local folders on Linux ZFS drive [Resolved]

Just to add another incident, same story here. Running as LXC container under proxmox, ZFS backed storage mounted to container. Worked fine in 1.7.

I have exactly the same issue since upgrading to 1.8. I can browse the folder on the Linux server, I can open the files, but there are no paths for Roon to add or rescan (path removed). In the interface, and my only option is to add a network share.

Ubuntu 20.04 with all the latest updates.

Sorry for the trouble here, @Jonathon_Wiebe!

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Did some testing and I’ve confirmed roon sees local paths in a VM (not container) backed by different filesystem. Looks like ZFS breaks roon 1.8 but worked on 1.7.

Story here is familiar to me… Logs are already submitted. Thought I’d check the thread in the Roon Community :slight_smile:
But for the sake of it: Roon also running in ZFS backed LXC container in Proxmox…

Any idea or ETA on a fix? I understand this is complex and this isn’t the only bug, but this is rapidly decreasing the “wife acceptance factor” for Roon, and my subscription is up for renewal.

Try exporting the ZFS fs as a samba share and network mount that in Roon. Works for me.

No backups though so a real solution is wanted.

Running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS with LVM for / (root) volume and a ZFS pool for media etc. Roon continues to work fine with 1.8.

Is everyone else using root on ZFS? Are you running the latest feature set?

So, my root isn’t on ZFS.

My root is on tmpfs (ram) and I bind-mount selected directories into root during early boot, which allows my system to be stateless with the exception of things I specifically opt-in to retaining state for. (e.g. /var/lib/roon). This seems to have the same effect though, since tmpfs doesn’t have a /dev/sdxY device name, Roon refuses to look into it just like it does with ZFS mountpoints.

My music library is on ZFS, on a separate drive, and is mounted to /srv/music during early boot as well.

All of this to say: I don’t think the problem here is exclusive to ZFS, but rather to people with any root partition that goes even slightly outside of the norm of /dev/sdxY device mounted to /.

1 Like

Hi,
I don’t mean to add to the back-and-forth here, but anyway…

I am running Roon Server Linux (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS) with zfs. It’s on an Intel NUC with a single SSD. My music library is on this system in my home directory. It was working great and after the upgrade to 1.8, continues to work great.

I performed the upgrade via the Windows app from another computer (running in WINE emulation) which immediately found the Roon Server and then suggested to me to upgrade it, which I did. That took all of 10 or 15 seconds, then it asked me to re-launch the server, which I did. It came right back showing that it was at rev. 1.8.

Issue was that the 1.8 server couldn’t find my music library. The Roon app showed the proper path in Settings > Storage > FOLDERS, although the path was now red and not functioning. In Linux, the library was where it should be. After much experimenting, the winning combination was to delete /var/roon/ and /opt/RoonServer, install the Roon Server via http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh, then install and configure Samba. I had to use an smb password as the Roon GUI wouldn’t accept a blank password. I didn’t have or need Samba before the upgrade. I had used cifs-utils as per the prerequisites, but Samba is a robust and has a lengthy and solid track record. I don’t mind! :+1:

I guess I did a full reinstall. No problem with that.

Thanks,
Nick Z

Exactly my setup. No folders visable in 1.8; worked nicely in 1.7.

I’m using ZFS too with Ubuntu 20.04. But my files reside on a NAS and are mounted with NFS.

What irritates me since quite some time is this error message:

02/11 18:33:09 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] initial listing found drive mounted at /var/music
02/11 18:33:09 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /var/music because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: 10.0.3.24:/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Music/ /var/music nfs rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=262144,wsize=262144,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=10.0.3.24,mountvers=3,mountport=30000,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=10.0.3.24 0 0)

Why does Roon check if the filesystem is mounted on /dev/sd*, this is simply wrong. This is against all standards.

3 Likes

It seems I’m also not able to add any smb shares… I’m getting “Unexpected error”

Same here. Samba or cifs utils, unexpected error. Not an issue with username or password.

Are they combing the entire / looking for media?:
02/09 21:44:45 Debug: [broker/filebrowser/volumeattached] skipping /proc/diskstats because it is not a /dev/sd[0-9]* (mountline: lxcfs /proc/diskstats fuse.lxcfs

This is a really failure prone and incorrect detection for file paths. When running as root you could overwrite all sorts of protected paths that would never have media in them. Or trigger unexpected behavior. The insistence on running a media server as root is my entire reason for putting Roon in a container/VM in the first place. Does anyone know if this behavior matches 1.7? I don’t have my install anymore to check.

1 Like

Right, I think this is the most infuriating aspect of this whole thing. We’ve all had our setups broken by some non-feature whose very idea is so obviously broken.

Why would you ever bother checking this? You’ll never be able to correctly check for the plethora of different, valid, ways people mount their data partitions.

1 Like

I can’t get Samba working either, it seems like Roon just ignores the mount.cifs that’s in PATH and tries to look for it somewhere (where it isn’t).

1 Like

At least in 1.7 they did. I never had my core on an other OS then Linux, but there I wondered often why they try to search

• /proc
  • /sys
  • tmpfs

Just to ignore them because they are not /dev/sd*

Looks like they just searched everything which was shown with „mount“.

1 Like

What Linux do you use?