Roon 1.8 does not see local folders on Linux ZFS drive [Resolved]

Thanks.

Could you please inform where they stand?

• has the issue been reproduced?
  • is the root cause understood?
  • has a resolution approach been identified?

Thank you.

1 Like

After some investigation today I can confirm that Roon core doesn’t respect PATH and instead hard-codes /bin/mount.cifs and /sbin/mount.cifs as well as /bin/umount and /sbin/umount.

This is disappointing.

@noris I see the status here was updated for “Ticket In” - What does that mean for Roon development?

Does it mean:

1. The issue is now acknowledged by the team, that’s it.
  2. The issue is scheduled to be solved before the next release.
  3. The issue will be solved eventually, no guarantees.
  4. Something else?

Hello All,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our QA team has been able to reproduce this behavior in the QA lab and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

As per policy, we can’t specify an exact timeline of when this bug will be resolved, but getting the issue reproduced in-house is the critical first step towards resolving an issue.

We are actively working on this issue and we will keep this thread up to date as we have more information to share. Thanks again for the reports and for your patience here!

4 Likes

Thanks for the update

Since this is a regression from 1.7 a comparison of the source code handling the linux file access may help

Cheers,
Bernard

Is there any chance we can have even a rough idea of when a fix will be out?

It’s been two weeks now since I’ve been able to listen to music :confused:

Well, 1.8 Build 763 doesn’t appear to fix the ZFS root problem.

Any status on when it is going to be fixed? We’re 2 weeks and two patches in, and still unable to access local files. Pretty unacceptable.

It looks like the good people of Roon may not fully understand the reason of their success.

To me, far beyond great UI, amazing metadata handling, good sound… there was stability and quality. And this bug, although it probably only affects a small part of users, reveals worrying issues in terms of platform policy, QA coverage, customer support communication and above all speed of reaction.

This defect impacts the most basic function of the software, the only one that truly matters, the ability to play music. In the online world it’s called an outage. Most companies publish on their websites a public hourly status update. It should be P00 and the CEO should get a report about progress twice a day.

I wonder how many of us are life long owners vs monthly subscribers btw? I am a life long owner.

1 Like

Lifetime here as well. Otherwise I’d have already cancelled my subscription and migrated to something that works reliably.

I can confirm the latest update also does not solve this issue for me.

Bingo. In the fintech or service provider worlds that I do systems engineering in, we’d be all hands on deck if we had a showstopper this big. People would be fearing the pink slip and the company would be fearing legal repercussions.

Indeed.

Now I do understand that playing music isn’t as mission critical and people aren’t paid the same. I can also understand that the team probably was already under a lot of pressure with the major 1.8 release then the various covid impacts…

But this is still annoying.

Cheers,
Bernard

3 Likes

So the music player I paid $700 for is no longer able to do something as simple as read a folder on my filesystem. Fantastic.

2 Likes

Pretty much, yeah. The best part is not being able to get any timeline or status related update as to when said $700 software will be able to do the most basic of actions.

I am new here, the first month of my yearly subscription ends March 6. Was planning to go life before then, but now that it’s unable to read my music files, I may end up refunding all together. 1.7 was working so nicely…

I don’t think this is so. I run Ubuntu 20.04 Server and I use LVM on top of ext4 on all file systems including root. Everything is working normally with the latest version/build of Roon. Backups too are fine.

However, Roon is on its own partition, not the root partition. So it could be the problem manifests when Roon is installed on a root partition that is not a basic file system mount.

Monthly. But I do not know any alternative to roon.

I’m on a monthly subscription, sadly I don’t think there’s any alternative to Roon, even if Roon doesn’t work at all :frowning:

I agree that this is unacceptable, I’m also a lifetime subscriber… but from the point of view of the Roon guys, given the number of impacted people (though I don’t have any number) I’m not sure this issue has a high rank on their priority list… new features for a lot of people vs bug fixing for a small group of impacted people (that for a big part already paid for a lifetime subscription it seems…). What would I do if it were my decision :thinking:

If it’s not fixed soon I reckon I’ll install Roon in a separate vm on my server… not ideal but at least I’ll be able to enjoy my lifetime subscription.

I think people with this type of issue also have a more advanced knowledge in how to get it working anyway (with a bit of tinkering) compared to the general Roon user.

My subscription is up on March 4th, and I’ve disabled auto-renew until this is resolved. Broken service is the same as no service.