Roon 1.8 does not see local folders on Linux ZFS drive [Resolved]

Well, its only natural that everybody wants to see the bugs impacting him/herself fixed first. I am impacted by a lot of other bugs but not this one so I want those others fixed first :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That is the reason why Roon will (hopefully!!) adress most of those many issues in one go and finally move from „early beta“ a little closer to a finished product.

Fair comment. I did read though that the devs think that they have a fix for this, seems a shame to hold back on releasing it.

It’s frustrating, yes, but I prefer they check thoroughly this time around and not release yet another „beta“ …

Certainly but this bug is an order of magnitude more impacting than any other I have seen reported here.

It prevents a significant number of users to listen to music. Some, like myself, we able to deploy a workaround at various levels of time and financial costs, others have not had this luxury and are simply without music for 6 weeks.

2 Likes

To add to what @Bernard_Languillier said, not all bugs are equal. There are priority tiers, and an issue that prevents paying users from using the service altogether should be P0. I think the frustration comes from this showstopper problem being treated almost as a wishlist request by the Roon team.

No idea what’s going on internally, but this whole thing is just bizarre.

Absolutely. I led a mid size customer success organization for a software vendor for nearly 10 years. Such issues were very rare but we had a special process in place with follow the sun support and hourly feedbacks to impacted customers in case of production down.

The level of reactivity demonstrated by Roon on this issue is, sorry for the harsh wording, incredibly poor.

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who has reached out about this issue, and for your patience as we’ve worked to get this resolved as quickly as possible. We are happy to announce that Roon 1.8 (Build 778), which includes a fix for this issue, is now available.

Please update and if you have any issues don’t hesitate to let us know!

You can take a look at the release notes which includes many other fixes and improvements here:

1 Like

That’s great, now can we get any of the following:

1. A postmortem on the issue
  2. Some guarantee it won’t reoccur; has ZFS been added as a QA test case?
  3. Reimbursement for the almost two months of lost service

cc. @brian

That page is showing as private, I can’t view it. Care to post the details to this thread?

He posted the wrong link, this is the correct one: Roon 1.8 (Build 763) is Live!

Thank you, will test tonight.

Agreed than an RCA is needed.

No, this one: Roon 1.8 (Build 778) is Live!

1 Like

You’re right, seems I copied the wrong one too :slight_smile:

I can confirm this bug is fixed with the new build.

You Roon folks sure took your time but glad it is fixed now. Thx.

Back to enjoy my music.

Yay! I can confirm that build 778 solves my ZFS issues - thanks team.

This is truly worthy of a “FINALLY!!”

Yes, that took awhile, but thanks for getting there.

I wasn’t effected by this issue, but it obviously stopped a number of users from using Roon at all.

For what it is worth, I echo the calls for such issues to be treated as a top priority in the future. The fix should be rolled out as soon as possible, and not as part of a larger build release including other issues, that while inconvenient, do not stop the most basic of Roon functionality from working: playback of users’ music libraries.

If all QA resources had been diverted to this issue 15 days ago, a fix likely would have been available before the release of build 778.

There is a world of difference between this issue and the issues with 1.8 that I have been collating into this list:

I took a bit of constructive criticism for not including this issue in the main listing - my definition of what issues were to be included was already somewhat blurry; and didn’t include specific user configurations.

The posts linking back to/discussing this issue served the main purpose of the list - letting users know Roon was investigating an issue, and if anything, gave the issue more visibility than just being another item in a list.

But if anyone effected by this issue feels that my list should have been based on priority, with this issue at top of the listing; I feel that I need to apologise - you were right.

If I had to start the list again, it would be based on priority, rather than the blurry definations of restoring functionality/bugs (support) and feature requests, loosely based on the current forum sections.

Going forward to the next major release, I hope that Roon work on a new system for keeping users informed of their plans for addressing issues - it shouldn’t be left to users like myself.

My suggestion is that during each major release the forum has a persistant banner (as used during outages or Nucleus/sub offers) linking to an online service like Trello, where each issue is listed under priority; with details of impact on functionality; a link back to the original forum topic for discussion; and a very rough outline of the phase it is in: investigation/recreated/fix/QA, even without a ETA on the fix being released it would be helpful to users.

Even better, if the issue tracking system Roon uses internally also has a user-facing interface?

The forum structure also needs to be improved.

Another reason I created the list was in an attempt to reduce the amount of times the same issue is being reposted. Additionally, support issues posted to the feedback topics on specific build(s) get buried under tens, if not hundreds, of general discussion posts.

Perhaps a general posting/staging section where mods would review new support topics and move into a specific section as appropriate or confirm with the poster that the issue had already been reported, then unlist the topic from the forum.

Users would only be able to create topics in the general support section, and only post to topics mods had created in the specific support sections.

4 Likes

Wow I run ZFS and didn’t have this issue, only found out through the release notes. It’s nice to not be impacted for a change. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.