Roon 1.8 on Synology NAS

Ralph is right 1.7 automatic update to 1.8. My Synology automatically updated to Roon 1.8.

3 Likes

I use a Celeron NAS and Roon runs just fine. Even with DSP and convolution. I can even upsample to DSD128 without issues.

Native DSD processing with all of the above will prove to be challenging, but what’s the point?

Remember, the Celeron J4125 on the 20+ series Synology is faster than an Ivy Bridge NUC i3.

DS1621+ and roon 1.8 installed perfectly without issue 8GB ram here.

Curious if you’ve got other services running on your NAS … such as PLEX, etc?

I run plenty services but none demanding by themselves

1 Like

To the original posters question.
I have a DS916+ with 8 GB ram and DSM 6 and the upgrade to 1.8 was not a problem. the Diststation runs 1.8 without problems.

However there is a 1.8 problem of the Roon core loosing Audio Zones from time to time which is unrelated to the Hardware the core runs on and yes I had to restart the core two times so far to regain one of my Audio Zones

I had the same issue with one particular audio zone (Apogee Quartet AI in my iMac) which while showing up and active, I wasn’t able to choose it. After a couple of restores the issue seems to be fixed. Either way I’m moving my Roon Core from the NAS to a brand new Lenovo M90n tomorrow.

1 Like

same to me! My m90n is due to arrive on Saturday

DS918+ here (12Gb ram), Plex, torrents, webserver, photo management, file storage, backup unit … all work fine with Roon.

1 Like

Hello, just reboot your NAS and Roon core on NAS shall use latest sw 1.8
Regards

Hello,
My DS1821+ (12Gb Ram, Rysen proc) run Roon 1.8, as well 1.7 core, perfectly.
For exemple, listen a DSD 5.1 to 2.0 16 b process has ~3x performance. For a hires 24b/96khz from Qobuz, it take about ~75x.
Regards

If you already have the current physiognomy, my personal suggestion is like this. You can refer to my plan to construct it, and you will get a different experience.

I use NUC(i5) Roon Rock and Bluesound NODE 2i ,I also have a Synology NAS (1515+ HDD Raid6 33TB RAM 2GB) as my local music file storage, and I use Audioquest CAT-700 cable as the wired network connection to my all device. In addition, I have a main NAS(1517+ All ssd 2TB 16GB RAM), but I did not add it to the system

I think NA"S" is a great storage tool, especially the added value of Synology is very high, but it is limited as a core computing

Recently moved the core from my iMac onto the Synology 1517+ (Intel Atom C2538 Quad Core 2.4GHz,16GB, dedicated 128GB SSD). No performance issues at all, just runs nicely.

Thanks @crieke

1 Like

Roon 1.8 is working pretty well on my Synology DS920+ so far. Even native DSD processing is surprisingly uneventful.

1 Like

My DS1019+ used to run pretty well too but I decided to take my Roon Core out of it and moved it to a dedicated Lenovo ThinkCentre M90n. After 24 hours running the Core in the M90n I can really see the improvements. Surfing over TIDAL is now super fast. I would say 3 times faster as it was with the Synology NAS. To be honest, I was surprised how good the DS1019+ was performing as Roon Core as I have 4 cameras recording 24x7 with Surveillance Station + 2 x Mac on Time Machine + Plex Server + Music Storage. The M90n is running Windows RoonServer but I’m planning on installing ROCK on the second M.2 250GB SSD which is already installed. Only need to change BIOS and flash the SSD drive. But for now Windows RoonServer is working really well.

1 Like