Roon 1.8 running on Synology DS920+ can't find Sonos Speakers but they show in logs

Roon Core Machine

Synology DS920+ latest build

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Unifi Dream Machine

Connected Audio Devices

Three Apple TVs
Two Sonos Moves
Three Sonos Playbars
One Sonos SubWoofer
Three Sonos Play 3’s
14 Sonos Play 1’s
1 Sonos Play One

Number of Tracks in Library

4,866 Tracks

Description of Issue

Roon only shows my Sonos speakers which have AirPlay:

Windows sees them all:

Roon Server Log shows a line like this one for all Sonos speakers:
10/19 17:08:42 Trace: [devicemanager/sonos] FOUND Device IP=192.168.1.79 UDN=uuid:RINCON_000E58FCD8AE01400 Manufacturer=Sonos, Inc. ModelName=Sonos Play:3 ModelNumber=S3

Reminds me of this slightly older thread:

Thanks @BlackJack. vSwitch is definitely off. I’ll try power cycling now…

If you run up a core on windows does it see all of them?

I have a dedicated mini pc running windows 10 that I tried Roon on (same version). No difference from Roon on the Synology NAS - identical view of Audio devices. (ie: missing the same Sonos pieces).

Are all the Sonos devices updated to the latest firmware etc? Maybe try a factory reset on one of them.

Thats a boatload of Sonos devices.

Yup, they are all running the latest.

Update: I didn’t want to do it, but I factory reset all 24 pieces of Sonos equipment I have, readded them to the S2 app, and now they all appear in Roon!

2 hours of work that I resisted, but it was obviously what was needed.

Wow. That lasted 20 minutes. Every single Sonos device in the house was available in Roon immediately after opening Roon after all the devices had been factory-reset and then re-added to Sonos S2.

Now, 20 minutes later, they are all gone.

What gives?

Sadly Andrew it is a problem that impacts a number of Sonos user’s across all platforms and not just Synology.
There are a couple of open thread’s for the issue and Sonos are looking at it, but no promise’s on a fix

I fixed my problem by removing all wired Sonos devices and factory resetting and adding them back as basic WiFi only.
Also I have given them all reservations in DHCP.
Almost 3 weeks of solid Sonos since then.

This has not helped some others though

Thanks Michael. I’ve removed ethernet from all but one connect - since I was under the impression that Sonos required at least one wired device. If not, I can unwire it as well and try again…

I’ve also made reservations for all in DHCP.

Frustrating!

Andrew Trust me I know the feeling, I had 5 days without music as I tried to give Roon plenty of log files so they could get more information.

For SonosNet it does require one device (or Boost) but on all WiFi none are required and surprisingly I have had barely a skip or stutter since I made the changes.

Hopefully it continues to work for you as well

Thanks again Michael. Pulling the ethernet cable out of the connect did the trick. Roon sees all my Sonos devices again!

1 Like

Fantastic News Andrew, and happy to help with that information.

@noris this might be one to keep an eye on in your testing

1 Like

Well, victory didn’t last. After enabling them all in Roon, a half-hour later they are all gone again. Unreal.

Sadly it doesn’t hold for all
Short term solution, just restart the application on Synology and they should be back inside 30 seconds if like the rest of us. My experience was it sometimes lasted for upto a day.

Roon are looking at it but it cannot come quickly enough for some.

I had this Sonos bug for a number of weeks. Tried many things posted in the recent threads on here. Some of these brought the devices back, but only temporary. All my Sonos devices are on wifi.

What eventually made my Sonos devices stick was this:

• remove devices from Roon
  • remove reserved IP for Sonos devices
  • restart network
  • reassign reserved IP for Sonos devices
  • restart network and Core
  • add devices back to Roon.

YMMV

2 Likes

Hi @Andrew_White1 ,

We are currently investigating reports related to Sonos zones not appearing, and there is a ticket in progress regarding this.

Can you please confirm if rebooting your Roon Core allows them to show up properly, even if temporarily?

How are the Sonos devices connected, are they through WiFi or a switch? Is the switch managed or unmanaged?

Thanks Noris.

Rebooting Roon Core on Synology has no effect.

All Sonos devices are connected via WiFi - none are connected via Ethernet (this is after a factory reset of every single sonos device).

Hi @Andrew_White1 ,

Thanks for giving that a try.

Do you by any chance have another Roon Core you can temporarily try to use? It would be good to see if the issue still occurs without the Synology in the mix. You can use these instructions to do so:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC