Roon 1.8 sound quality change?

There is nothing about this statement in the video you enclosed.

If anything it proves that on these two models it is hard to demonstrate a direct electrical effect in the audio band on pure 1 kHz tone.

Yep…some real winners. :roll_eyes:

Roon 1.8 either sounds better, worse, or the same. Whatever you think is OK.

4 Likes

thank you for you very good comments.

Exactly the same here. I know my setup in and out and I’m also very disappointed. It’s thin and less full body then before.

It has a bit better soundstage but on the cost of the things I wrote above.

I would rather listen to the old version!!!

And the new layout is SO BIG… it only shows 5 lines/artists/tracks on my iPad. I guess they made it for blind people :rage:
And there are no track numbers anymore…,
I F’n hate the new 1.8 :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

For everyone who liked the sound of Roon 1.7, I recommend turning on phase inversion in the DSP settings.
It looks like there is an absolute phase issue in the new build.

Can you point to the thread where Roon acknowledged this?

No I can not. This is my opinion obtained during the experiment.
I think if they knew about it, they would fix it.
It is much faster to check my assumption than to conduct lengthy polemics.

1 Like

Does absolute phase actually matter in any way for sound quality? Besides, you should be able to switch absolute phase just by switching place of both inputs to both speakers.

You have the diagnostic in front of you. Like many other DACs, yours does a less good job going from USB to the D2A circuitry proper than when going from S/PDIF. It’s not a problem with the source, it’s a problem with the DAC.

4 Likes

Which is easier to take and try it yourself.
You do not think that switching the phase in the player is much easier than on the speakers. And the result, in the first case, is heard instantly.
History knows cases when there were errors with the absolute phase and they were subsequently corrected.
For example, early releases of Topping E30 DACs contained an absolute phase error, which the manufacturer quickly corrected.

There’s a lot of talk of phase on here. If that’s of concern I’d suggest eliminating any passive crossovers in your system before worrying too much about Roon’s role in any issues :wink:

Why would anyone want to exclude crossovers if the problem arose after updating the player? I do not understand the logic of your advice.
If you don’t hear the difference in sound between 1.7 and 1.8, then my recommendations are not for you. So everything is fine with you and you have nothing to worry about. But there is also another experience.

I’m simply saying that passive crossovers are likely to a have far more detrimental effect on phase coherency than Roon.

I already said above that in order to turn on the phase inversion in the player and hear the difference yourself, you need less time than writing a message.
Unless, of course, this does not contradict your beliefs.

I’m finding bass more chunky, midrange more globular and the highs more custard-like…

Sorry I couldn’t resist… :wink:

1 Like

I tried, while I can clearly hear the effect of inverting phase on a single speaker I can’t detect any changes when I reverse phase overall. I’ll admit I’m biased in that I didn’t expect to.

That would be a noteworthy finding, I’d be interested to read a published version of it if it’s available somewhere please.

I sincerely envy you. Thank you for doing the experiment.

I assumed that among the apologists of “bit-perfection”, my discovery is unlikely to be appreciated by anyone. But, I also know that I am not alone and maybe it will help someone.
Thank`s.

No problem. What difference do you hear? I ask because if you hear something it might indicate a problem with your setup, not Roon?

I looked this up and it was a wiring error that reversed the phase. They put it right with a firmware fix, but that didn’t fix all outputs. One common observation was that the problem wasn’t audible.