Roon 1.8 update. Squeezebox device stops playing music even though indicator/time shows it is

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows Server 2019/Roon 1.8/build 756

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear 8 channel 1GB switches (3) Linksys Smart Router/Linksys Velop Mesh Network

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos Play3 (x2), Sonos Play1 (x3), Squeezebox Radio, Volumio (TauDAC), Windows 10 boxes (x3)

Description Of Issue

Squeezebox Radio stops audio, even though Roon shows that music is continuing. Stopping and selecting Play starts audio output again. It lasts around 10 minutes then does it again.

Hi @Brad_Sanders ,

Is the Squeezebox Radio the only device exhibiting this issue?
Have you tried a reboot of the Core + Squeezebox yet?
Are there any patterns to the media type affected by the issue (MQA/high-res)?

Yes all systems were rebooted (Core, Squeezebox Radio, Switches) The Radio will play for 30 seconds then go off (even though Roon shows it playing) and then at some point will come back on for 30-45 seconds and then stop again. It doesn’t matter what source material is.

Hi @Brad_Sanders

If you play to System Output of the Core or a remote does the same behavior occur?

Hi guys,

I’m currently experiencing a similar behaviour. For me playback with the SB Radio lasts for ~30 seconds until it stops again. This is true for local music (non hires AAC, MP3) as well as Tidal (MQA). Restarting Core, Squeezebox and Switch doesn’t solve it for good.

My Squeezebox Duet and Bluesound Flex 2i, however, seem to work just fine.

All components are attached to the Switch via Ethernet.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon ROCK on NUC8i5
Server: Version 1.8 (build 764) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Switch TPLink SG 1016DE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Squeezebox Radio: Firmware: 7.7.3-r16676 via Ethernet

Cheers,
Dominik

Hi everyone,

the problem still persists for me, so any support is appreciated. What I tried so far:

• Restart ROCK
  • Restart Squeezebox Radio
  • Restart Switch
  • Restore Sqzeezebox Radio to factory settings

Restarting the SB Radio solves it for a day or two then it’s failing again. Happy to provide logfiles etc.

Hi @dob ,

Are you by any chance able to extract any logs from the squeezebox itself when this occurs?
Roon logs won’t help much in this case unfortunately since music looks like it’s playing.
Is there any pattern to the types of files that trigger the behavior (sample rate/bit-depth/type)?

Hi @noris ,

I’ve been able to extract logs from the Squeezebox Radio (loglevel: debug). Where shall I send the Dropbox link to?

One initial observation I made: last time the issue occured when I started a track from Roon while the radio was in standby mode. It began to play but had dropouts. I then used the power-button to explicitly wake up the radio. From then on there were no dropouts. I’ll try to reproduce this behaviour if possible.

So far I could not identify any parttern regarding sample rate/bit-depth/type. The same song was affected sometimes and sometimes it was not.

Quick update: Waking up the SB Radio before playing does not solve it for good.

Hi @dob ,

Can you please send me the link via a private message (click my name → message) here?
Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.