Roon 1.8 - where can I see tags & playlists for a track? [Solved]

Yeah this is very interesting. I could use lumin app with hard drive for local storage and lumin supports spotify connect.

I’m not sure what you mean!

How can Roon compete directly with Spotify Hi-Fi and "wave bye bye to Tidal and Qobuz? They are completely different products. Roon has no external streaming source of its own. It can’t compete with Spotify without an external streaming source partner such as Tidal or Qobuz.

Are you suggesting that Roon drops its integration with Tidal and Qobuz and concentrates entirely on users with local music files? Surely not - that’s just not going to happen!

Interesting…Spotify hifi has been rumored for a while now. of all the music services, hands down Spotify has the best recommendations…for me their recommendations are uncanny many times. Roon by comparison isn’t very good on recommendations for me.

From the Darko article I think this paragraph is what Hugo is pointing out:

The new ‘hifi’ tier will offer CD-quality streaming to all Spotify apps – smartphone and desktop – as well as Spotify Connect-enabled audio devices.

If more manufacturers support this akin to ‘Roon Ready’, and Spotify expand beyond Wifi and include muilti-zone support there will be serious competition for Roon…

Roon still does a lot for me that Spotify almost certainly won’t, and discovery via Roon Radio works very well for me.

If it came down to a choice between Spotify HiFi and Tidal (or Qobuz), then it would be a difficult choice. A larger music catalogue with Spotify against the availability of hi-res with the other two. But It won’t come down to this because I can’t see myself moving away from Roon.

Now, if Roon were to offer integration with Spotify in the way they do with Tidal and Qobuz, then Spotify HiFi would be a possible option for me. However, that’s not going to happen (or could it?), and so I think my medium to long term preference will be a combination of Roon and Tidal or Qobuz.

We’ve made changes to address this in Build 763. Please see more details below:

Tag links on the album page - By popular request, this feature is back. Head over to the General tab of Settings and, once “Show track tags on album page” is enabled, tags will appear as they did in past versions of Roon.

Playlist Links

This is another request we’ve heard from many of you – if you’d like to see links on the album screen to the playlists you’ve created, this can also be enabled from the General tab of Settings.

7 Likes

Awesome - Thanks!!

Thank you very much.

The tracks in my playlists are no longer numbered, which I’m not happy about. Even more irritating is that previously when adding tracks to playlists, the playlist was listed under the relevant track making it possible to see how many playlists the track had been added to. I make a lot of playlists and want to avoid duplication. I now need to check the actual playlist to see whether a track has already been added or not. Playlists are a really important function so this needs to be rectified.

1 Like

Good job! Thanks!

I like using tags inside of Roon and enjoyed that whenever I looked at an album, if a song was part of any of my tags, it would display that tag name under the song. It appears Roon 1.8 doesn’t do this?

Is there a way to turn that back on somewhere?

Hello @Stephan_Pearce,

We’ve restored the ability to see track tags and playlists in the latest Roon update:

-John

4 Likes

Why did you remove it in the first place?

5 Likes

Playlist Links

“This is another request we’ve heard from many of you – if you’d like to see links on the album screen to the playlists you’ve created, this can also be enabled from the General tab of Settings.”

I don’t see a way to enable playlist links on the general tab of settings. What am I misssing?

Maybe when the app updates this will appear in settings?

Yes, you need to be running the latest version.

" Playlist Links

This is another request we’ve heard from many of you – if you’d like to see links on the album screen to the playlists you’ve created, this can also be enabled from the General tab of Settings."

Can someone explain this to me? I enable it but I don’t see anything.

Update the app

Thanks for the update, it’s a relief. Now, I can really enjoy 1.8.

1 Like

Thanks for also bringing back the separation between all tags and the most recently used ones on the “Manage tags” overlay.

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.06.26 AM

1 Like