Roon 1.8 - where can I see tags & playlists for a track? [Solved]

Great to see this, thanks. If it was removed in an effort to keep the UI clean, it seems reasonable to provide a toggle at least to restore visibility.

It does seem to me, reading the number of complaints around 1.8 relating to usability, that Roon should really consider allowing some degree of customisation to elements on the Home Screen at least, to allow users to give prominence to features they use most and bury those which they do not. You can’t please everyone all the time, but you can enable them to please themselves.

Loving finally having portrait mode on my iPad and despite some other issues I’m having with my Core am sure 1.8 will be a solid foundation to build upon.

4 Likes

Roon’s many amazing capabilities enable my entire household music experience in different rooms in different ways; for example, I benefit immensely from my involved use of many of the DSP functions, which along with a basic room-correction mic & software together form an amazing technical package emanating from my Nucleus+ that adds enormous value to my different mid-level and high-end playback setups. Also, my life has been directly and substantively enhanced by the introduction of Valence recommendations and I find a lot to really like about 1.8, including the further development of the role of Valence.

After discovering new music, though, everything to do with my daily music listening experience revolves almost entirely around a personal and extensive use of dozens of playlists of thousands of tracks, which I’ve invested countless hours curating to match my particular interests over many years, since long before I started using Roon. Roon’s playlist management functionality has always frustrated me—it still feels way behind iTunes, even, not to mention Yate. However, I’ve done my best, embracing Roon’s worthwhile introduction of ROONTRACKTAGs and I’ve been grateful for the way that addition has helped solve (albeit clunkily) a number of problems.

But now the loss of the visibility and easy management of track tags and playlist assignments for individual tracks in album view has been a real blow, for all the reasons others have detailed above. I’m relieved to hear that Roon is working on bringing this back; for me, too, it’s essential. I like the clean look of 1.8 but yes, the option in settings to toggle these visibility and management features back on would be appreciated.

10 Likes

@brian Look forward for the return of Playlist and Tag functionality!
My suggestion is to enable/disable the visibility of playlist and tag information for individual tracks via the settings menu. Users who do not want this information can then turn it off to maintain a clean interface…

6 Likes

Brian, thanks for your reply. Look forward to get the functionality back as it was in 1.7

1 Like

Yes thanks. I discovered that myself just after posting my message although I’m sure it didn’t work when I tried it a couple of days ago… let’s hope they sort out the playlist issues though…

Thank you, looking forward to the restored capability.

Brian - thanks for confirming you’re on top of this. When I migrated from 1.7 to 1.8 I had ~700 albums lose their tags. I commonly add multiple tags to albums such as source, genre and format (eg Tidal, Jazz, MQA). With 1.8, adding multiple tags to even a single album is tedious. If you try to select multiple albums and add multiple tags, the albums become deselected after the first tag is applied - frustrating! The checkbox format that 1.7 used was intuitive and efficient - please bring that back!!!

5 Likes

@brian I hope this planned update will also restore the ability to delete tags directly from album pages rather, as now the case in 1.8, the deletion of albums from the tags. And thanks for your attention to these issues!

3 Likes

Thanks Brian,

Thank you for your response and your efforts and I am confident and hope that you can integrate the ‘old’ tag functionality from 1.7 into 1.8. I hope to see that again soon. You have delivered a beautiful product, but there are a number of points that according to your most loyal users are still missing or deserve an adjustment. Nobody is perfect here and the best helmsmen are ashore, as we say in the Netherlands.

4 Likes

It’s just not tagging but playlists too. I have my party playlist, my quiet time playlist, my dinner music playlist and so on. When listening to an album I may not remember if I added any of those tracks to one of my playlists. I need to see it within the Album at the Track Level, just like it used to be.

Thank you to Roon for prioritizing this. I’m sure you’re working long hours trying to address a lot of things. Thank you so much for everything you’re doing to address these issues.

4 Likes

Appreciate the reply Brian, thank you. You could always make the display of this data, as well as other stuff like track credits (composer etc.) customizable by the end user. Maybe that’s worth a shot. Can’t wait to see how you bring this back.

1 Like

Thanks, but hopefully your comment also applies to identifying and displaying in album view playlists to which a track has already been added, so that we can avoid duplicates!

7 Likes

Thanks ! Really appreciated.

@brian Please can you add metadata back to tagged items. I tag albums into my own categories. Now the only labels showing is the artist/title, meaning I’m unable to differentiate between different versions of the same album e.g format/version

Thanks, much appreciated!

Not sure why there needs to be much thought into how tags and playlists should display. The way it was in 1.7 is perfect. Perhaps one extra line below the track name for a list of tags, and one more line below that for playlists. All of them being clickable to take you to those tags or playlists. Just put it back the way it was, please.

7 Likes

Good to hear that tags and playlists are coming back! Without them, Roon is not Roon…

2 Likes

I hope the « It shouldn’t take a very long time. » is not equal to the KEF roon ready* COMING SOON.

Wonderful thanks - please don’t add it back to the track list as it looks beautiful and clean now, all that damn information that used to be on each track made it seem old fashioned and clumsy - ideal place would be on the ellipsis menu, right under ‘Add to Playlist’ wouldn’t it, really? :blush:

Strong disagree. To be as useful as before, the information needs to be there at a glance, not requiring an additional gesture.

But this may be a perfect example of a display flavor which requires a per-user preference.

19 Likes