Roon 1.8 - where can I see tags & playlists for a track? [Solved]

Another voice for returning to being able to see tags and playlists!

5 Likes

Prior version album info had playlists location identifier. I want that info back at album and track level.

1 Like

Perfect example of ā€œyou canā€™t please all the peopleā€¦ or even some of themā€¦ all the timeā€ :blush: and yes I totally agree, but of course those preference tick boxes would end up being pages long! I can think of loads I would like - such as only displaying the main artist or a selectable artist pic on the now playing page for example - all that switching between credited artists does my head in, especially when some of them are little pics stuck in the middle of the screen! Sooo uncool!

I suppose the reason I donā€™t want the information on the track listing is I feel it is superfluous to what the track listing is for, displaying basic track info - you can always see more info form the ellipsis context menu. But then Iā€™m an aesthete, so to me a clear and beautiful uncluttered interface that does not vary between albums is far, far more important than showing me whether I have that track in a playlist or not.

Some of my tracks on 1.7 were in five different playlists - a complete mess if displayed on the track listing and impossible to format for the screen aesthetically. I also found that whether or not the album would display the playlist info was very hit or miss, sometimes on some albums it would, other times it wouldnā€™t - maybe the album had to be in the library as opposed to just in Qobuz?

But like you say, itā€™s a preference thing and I totally get where you are coming from, Roon is a major work tool for us record collectors who like a tidy library! Pretty hard work for Roon making these arbitrary decisions for us though! :blush:

1 Like

Hi Brian. When you say ā€˜as soon as possibleā€™ do you have an estimated time frame please?

2 Likes

While I can subscribe to the ā€œclean aestheticā€ frame of mind, ultimately a feature is only useful if itā€™s, well, easy to use. A way or another, tags and playlists must be visible.

One way to do it that would be similar but not entirely to ticking an option box would to make it a button above the track list. Something like ā€œDisplay detailsā€. Click on it and tags and playlists appear, click again and they are gone. Thatā€™s the usual way to manage these types of conundrums, where you need to display more info on the same page but not all the time.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll see something that elegant though. The change wasnā€™t well thought out, the ā€œrollbackā€ will probably the simplest possible.

Agreed - the ā€œrollbackā€ will be minimal to restore functionality. Personally, I donā€™t mind the tags/playlists visible. Extra clicks are a pain.

1 Like

I too want to add my voice in support of bringing the playlist/tag functionality. I do find it disconcerting that Roon decision makers would unilaterally change the functionality of Roon. It is like a car manufacturer removing something like navigation functionality in the infotainment software in an update. It undermines my confidence in the future of the product.

9 Likes

Yesā€¦makes you wonder whatā€™ll ā€œdisappearā€ next time

3 Likes

I want to add my vote for multi tagging, track visable tags and playlists.

5 Likes

The lack of Playlist association(s) at the song/album level(s) is a total nightmare.

2 Likes

Hi Brian,
Any progress on this topic? I believe the community would appreciate if roon would give us information about the expected timeframe to get playlist and tagging on track level in album view back and how it will look like.

2 Likes

I donā€™t use Tags, yet but I need to see what Albums/Tracks are in a Playlist. Please correct this.

3 Likes

Still no solution to this unexplainable mistakeā€¦ When is playlist/tags functionality be back as it was before? To look at the album listing and not seeing to which playlist tracks have been added is worse than a bug. Can we get it back? I have been using ROON for years and this is the first time I have to think about maybe moving on to something more user friendly, because ROON is moving in the direction ā€œlook at me how preety I amā€, loosing features and functionality along the way.

5 Likes

Yes those are my thoughts also. The functionality of 1.7 regarding tags and Playlist are forcing me to think of alternatives.

1 Like

seems like the option could easily be added to the browsing prefs in SETTINGS, and give people an option to see it or not:

2 Likes

Roon needs to double down on tags and power features now itā€™s going to compete directly with spotify hifi. Roon canā€™t compete on recommendation engine alone. Bye bye tidal and qobuz. Roon is back to being a power tool for local files. Suits me just fine as thatā€™s what i need.

1 Like

Yeah this is very interesting. I could use lumin app with hard drive for local storage and lumin supports spotify connect.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean!

How can Roon compete directly with Spotify Hi-Fi and "wave bye bye to Tidal and Qobuz? They are completely different products. Roon has no external streaming source of its own. It canā€™t compete with Spotify without an external streaming source partner such as Tidal or Qobuz.

Are you suggesting that Roon drops its integration with Tidal and Qobuz and concentrates entirely on users with local music files? Surely not - thatā€™s just not going to happen!

Interestingā€¦Spotify hifi has been rumored for a while now. of all the music services, hands down Spotify has the best recommendationsā€¦for me their recommendations are uncanny many times. Roon by comparison isnā€™t very good on recommendations for me.

From the Darko article I think this paragraph is what Hugo is pointing out:

The new ā€˜hifiā€™ tier will offer CD-quality streaming to all Spotify apps ā€“ smartphone and desktop ā€“ as well as Spotify Connect-enabled audio devices.

If more manufacturers support this akin to ā€˜Roon Readyā€™, and Spotify expand beyond Wifi and include muilti-zone support there will be serious competition for Roonā€¦