Roon 1.8 will be Live on ….?

I did not say Roon was a problem! Where do you get that idea?

However, I actually implied that HQ Player “could” make Roon sound better.

OK, I think you’re saying that some kind of built-in super upsampling feature could improve the sound. I suppose it’s possible. But once you get to a higher tier of DAC then sample rates don’t make much of a difference, if at all. Listening to the redbook vs. 24/192 on my DCS Rossini DAC or Chord Dave I could not tell the difference between sample rates from the same master recording in a blind test.

A software-driven active EQ like DEQX would make a far bigger sound improvement. But I think that goes way beyond Roon’s mission.

So why do Chord make M Scaler? I do not know if the functionality of the Chord M Scaler can emulated by Roon or any software product (eg Audirvana, HQ Player) out there.

Btw, your DAC is not at the same level as my Dac :slight_smile: (Linn Klimax DSM/2 with Katalyst)
You still have some way to go.

A great Amp can make Roon sound better, also Room Treatments, speakers, etc etc. This doesn’t meant Roon sounds bad, it means ones home listening environments and setups need tweaking, and that’s fine.

I think what people are asking for in terms of sound quality improvements is for there to be more options to tinker with DSP.
I for one agree that bits are bits and roon does a fantastic job at sending the bits where I want them to go.
But I am also someone who can not stop tinkering with the DSP chain (crossfeed / EQ / Convolution / Upsampling) so if there are any improvements to this area then that would make me happy but I do not think that this is an area that roon is lacking. We just always want more as humans.

4 Likes

Not really. I’d didn’t believe it was true until I tried recently I have a well reviewed and state of the art DAC according to ASR which he raves about. Yet when I play content using Squeezelite via LMS it sounds different to using Squeezelite via Roon on the same device feeding the same DAC. It’s not huge but it’s different and one to me sounds more appealing. To others the other might. Not saying it sounds bad it sounds different. Nothing wrong with my equipment. Infact playing via RAAT and Squeezelite from Roon sound identical. Now this could be down to software server side, the fact the use different servers and different network paths. But they remain different regardless.

2 Likes

When is 1.8. Roon please give a hint

Nope it comes when it’s ready — Roon philosophy

4 Likes

It will be here soon,

but, as we all know in Roon vocabulary things have a different meaning than in real life:

We are working on it = within two to three years
Soon = somewhere within a year
Very Soon = somewhere within three months
About to release = give it a month
Any time now = a weak or two

3 Likes

This place is like a maternity waiting room … but with better speakers

11 Likes

Hmmm. Roon 1.8.

Let me guess.

Significant improvements to the Radio Algorithm!

Roon Mobile is still in the development phase.

/s

4 Likes

Don’t man. I couldn’t take it.

Not sure what I would do. Itsa funny thought experiment.

Roon ready? :wink:

2 Likes

I’m surprised it’s taking this long. The last maintenance update made it sound like it was only held off because of the holidays. Now everyone’s expectations are too high.

I still try to remember that once the music starts, roon update or not won’t make any difference at that point. Maybe they can add one of those old school visualizations I can stare at while the music plays.

7 Likes

Yeah, someone from Roon actually said somewhere on the forums that it was in beta which is most unusal as they don’t usually even say that much.
Maybe they found lots of problems and decided to start again :open_mouth:

1 Like

I would suggest that perhaps this is more for the multiple language support with translation being a good amount of effort with a significant upgrade coming.

Releasing without bugs (thats the general intention) is the primary objective of all software companies, Roon has said this and that they will release when it is ready many times. So sit back and enjoy the music you have now.

1 Like

Woooooooooosh

That was the sound of the entire point of the post going right over your head.

Haha…

No, I got it…it just wasn’t that funny and the photo was badly misnamed.

Expect nothing you will never be disappointed

1 Feb 21, full week of support to fix glitches

The Grand National is a better bet :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: