Roon 1.8 Windows Client crashing on second open consistently

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core is QNAP NAS
Version : 1.8 (build 756) stable
QPKG-Version : 2020-07-15

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Orbi AX6000 WiFi, core connected to 8 port gigabit netgear switch → Orbi router

Intel AX600 (wifi-6) client side.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Topping D90 via USB attached to a topping A90 via XLR.

Description Of Issue

Consistently on windows 10 pro (fully updated) I’m able to install roon, and open it once. upon second launch, roon hangs at launch and stops responding. I’ve tried 32/64 installers with same results. System restarts do not help, the only way to get roon working again on the desktop is to uninstall app and db, and reinstall. It will then work for one session, until I close roon, relaunch, and it hangs. No issues prior to 1.8 if that matters.

NOTE: Im not seeing this behavior on my android phone, or on my macbook pro.

Sorry for adding more noise here - I was trying to be patient and wait for a fix, but I wasn’t seeing my exact problem very much at all. If it matters, system specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950X
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix variant w/ X570 Chipset
RAM: 32GB DDR 4
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 3090 (Nvidia)
x2 PCIE NVME drives

I have a variety of other “audio” devices connected to the machine, but do not configure them in roon FYI.

Thanks!

Sorry for the trouble here, @Patrick_Albert1

Apologies for the delay! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, ill get the logs sent over soon.

Logs are here: Dropbox - roonlogs - Simplify your life

There are raat/app logs from the windows PC, and logs from the QNAP NAS running roon server.

Thanks in advance, ive barely been able to use roon without uninstalling and reinstalling every session =(

Further work done on my end - i tired to clean out roon files left behind after uninstall to get a true “clean install” but had no luck. I ended up completely reinstalling windows and now things mostly work. Sometimes roon has trouble finding my DAC, but eventually does.

So. Solution for me? Complete fresh install of Windows.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

UPDATE - things were fine after fresh windows install. Once i updated to new version, we have crashing at launch behavior again.

Please help me out here, my main listening happens on this windows machine - not having this issue with MacOS or Android.

So, I dumped the process when it hung, ran windbg against it, and it looks like there might be something related to my dual monitor setup causing this?

SYMBOL_NAME: win32u!NtUserEnumDisplayMonitors+14

MODULE_NAME: win32u

IMAGE_NAME: win32u.dll

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: BREAKPOINT_80000003_win32u.dll!NtUserEnumDisplayMonitors

For science, i disconnected my second monitor.

Now roon is working.

Anything i can send yall to fix this bug?

Second monitor causes roon to hang.