Roon 1.9 and Negativity

Frank, do you have a recommended alternative, I’m a JRiver Fan, love it but Roon provides the integration of Streaming Services, of which I thought I would never ever ever want, now I’m addicted.

So what do you recommend, JRiver and Roon are my choices, with Roon providing the most fun and JRiver providing the most Local Library Flexibility, show us what you got:

I tried JRiver but the lack of streaming services support drove me to Roon, just like you.

And no, I don’t have an alternative. The native apps the streaming services are not made to stream to virtually every device on the market.

Roon makes it easy to feed most devices. Just hook up a RasPi and you’re off.

This is something future competitors will have to take into account: Roon bridge is a stroke of genius.

I am anxiously looking forward to a real competitor for Roon though.

1 Like

I have never try it, but it looks like Qobuz knows dlna. Now, why do you want to stream on every device on the market… :slight_smile:

Which poll?
H

I demoed Roon years ago, and felt it was better then JRiver, much better, at playing to different types of devices, under JRiver I had to install BubbleUPnP, which would abend all the time. Roon just played to everything. I have an Apple Airport Express, a Chromecast, and other devices, Roon Plays to them all, seamlessly. I stuck with JRiver for years and am fairly new to Roon.

I am staying with JRiver, meaning buying and supporting them, as well as Roon, lifetime member, so until that other product comes along, I’ll stay here and support Roon, and of course make my suggestions on what to add, change or fix, while also giving them some Love :notes:

Well, you know, the most vocal users are the malcontents, as usual. There’s not much to be upset about if you like what you see and hear, and perhaps spend more time listening to your tunes, than griping over fonts or such.

3 Likes

Thanks Craig, will it only show results if I answer it? I’m waiting for 1.8.1, what’s the current statistics?
H

Answer it and find out…:slight_smile: Stats adjust all the time as more people vote… have to keep looking.

Seriously, who says we aren’t listening to music even if disgruntled. This whole, either you listen to music or you just listen to your gear/cables/etc (or think about the software) canard has got to go. People are capable of doing more than one thing at a time. I’m pretty sure you are, so why not give others, even those you disagree with, the benefit of a doubt.

3 Likes

I use both in parallel: JRiver for file collection and playlist management, Roon for discovery and integration of Qobuz and Tidal. If I like new albums, I download them and JRiver does it’s job to add them according to MY rules and MY tags to my library. ROON watches the same folder, so new albums show up immediately.

1 Like

And what does that have to do with whether us ‘malcontents’ are actually listening to music or not? Insults work both ways you know.

IMO and that of many others this has been a seriously flawed released compared to the hyped run up to it. Doesn’t mean I’m not using it, or getting used to it. And I did apologize elsewhere to the devs as I was getting beyond myself with snark (oh the internets). And I will apologize again here - it wasn’t fair. But let’s not pretend that the only ones doing the insulting are the ‘malcontents.’ I can still recall one of the ‘its all in your head’ regulars here comparing people, myself included, who heard differences in ethernet cables the same as anti-vaxxers. So, yeah, let’s not discount other’s opinions or critiques, good or bad.

1 Like

I’m with econaut and politely disagree but also enjoyed the entertaining read. In the big scheme of world hunger, COVID, and traffic jams, what’s going on with Roon is not that big a deal. It is a matter of perspective. At the same time, many of us use Roon more than our smartphones if you can believe that. Looking at my Roon home page confirms this. I use Roon six hours a day. So passions run high and passionate people post. I applauded every step the Roon folks take to introduce enhancements. The issues that revolve around basic functionality and loss of standard features will surely be resolved. Until then, it seems more like two steps forward, one step back, and another sideways. I look behind me and am not sure how we got here, but the view is about the same, and the progress is not what we were promised in the lead up emails. I’ll now jump in my car and look for a traffic jam. I need the distraction.

This is also addressed to @Steven_Hansen.

Thanks for disagreeing with such good humour.

My sincere hope is that in a month or so Roon will do the business and you will both become 1.8 converts.

Wait a minute. What I was trying to say was that I dislike 1.8 but I liked your post!

Edit: If you want to include someone else in your reply, you can put an @ in front of their nick like this: @PFBTG

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.

Understood. My hope was that Roon will make tweaks to remove some of your concerns (and those of others) and also over time you might become more comfortable with the new look and feel.

1 Like

This thread is a bit of a magnifying glass on the forum…

Tribal mentality and focussing on what is different between us, not what is the same (I’m assuming we are all here because we enjoy music?).

The multitude of threads about how bad 1.8 is are - largely - pretty poor. Some folks are having legitimate issues with bugs and some with features. But then it gets lost in the “1.8 is a disaster” threads and posts. I’ll never use the product again because it doesn’t have my favourite colour. Not really the biggest issue in the world at the moment.

So, clearly I am a fanboy. Well, no. I wasn’t here for over a year (almost 2 I think) because the fanaticism was tiring. Any dissenting voice was met with “If you don’t like it…”. Now I can’t help but think that if you saw a group of people in the street shouting at someone “Why don’t you go back to where you come from?” you’d have a word for people like that. But that is what this was “If you don’t like it, why don’t you go back to x”.

And I do mean a group… because that’s how forums seem to work. When you see that your gang has rolled into town (a thread) you feel emboldened to pile in. There was one who never really said anything but would go down a thread of 100 posts and click like on all the ones trying to beat up on someone. I imagined he had printed out pictures of the roon folks to provide him with comfort at night.

Extremism, and polarisation, is a bad thing. Take religion… different views on it. But then you get extremist views (and nope, no religion has a monopoly on that) where there is one true version of things… and things go south. Society, and politics, at the moment is all about polarisation. Point out to people why they are different from others. Make them feel downtrodden. Almost like polarising people serves some purpose…hmmm…

So come on folks… we are all expressing opinions here. Some folks think their opinions are facts and some opinions may be better informed than others based on experiences. If you really need to gang up and unify - I’m not a fanboy and I’m not a detractor either. So now you have something in common - you can both read my post and think “Jerk”. So go on. Have a virtual, socially distanced, hug and call me names…

…You’ll be expressing your opinion of me. Nothing more than an opinion - you don’t know me. It is your right to express it. Equally it is my right to disregard it - which I almost certainly will. So come on. Roll up, roll up… if we are going to be tribal about everything figure out that you’re in the same gang.

20 Likes

Well said. I have a feeling you are urinating windwards though.

2 Likes

Of that I have absolutely no doubt. None. But if we can’t figure out that we are all the same and enjoy music, then be the same because you dislike what I say. Because I’m not in your gang.

Seriously folks. Unite. Call me names. :smiley:

I’ll get the ball rolling.

What a cckwmble! (See… I don’t even pay much attention to my own opinions of myself)… :smiley:

You haven’t learnt the baiting rules have you? If you want to be called names just say that MQA is perfect and if you can’t hear it you are either deaf or your system is cheap and nasty.
Now that will get the wolves to your door…

3 Likes