Roon 1.9 and Negativity

Yes, definitely with you, and I’m more than happy with 1.8.

As I’ve posted elsewhere, the new Focus everywhere is excellent, and having the Discover tab a bit less prominent makes sense (it’s not that useful), and in the end in the few days I’ve been using it, discovery of new music has been so much better to my mind.

I’m sure that there are those with highly specific, complex workflows who’ve been a bit disrupted by the new software, and clearly classical is not an easy nut to crack. But that aside, 1.8 not only looks a little more coherent and less cluttered, its layout makes more sense.

1 Like

1st of April, as in April Fools’ Day?

2 Likes

Rumbled! It took longer than I expected.

1 Like

It’s satire.

I’m not sure… The new head of PR Loof Lirpa confirmed it didn’t he?

Nice bit of satire, I enjoyed it :slight_smile:

Thank goodness, I was really disappointed for awhile and thinking why would Roon even think in this manner

1 Like

Sorry about that. I was actually trying to make some serious points and get them read as widely as possible.

1 Like

Fortunately the roon folks have pretty thick skins.

1 Like

No worries, at least it was clarified to me in the end.

1 Like

As a Roon customer (as you put it “with serious issues”) and forum member, I couldn’t agree with the sentiment more.

I have avoided the threads with obviously contentious titles as, rather sadly, once started they become rather compulsive viewing. Best avoided.

Testing is always insufficient, because the possible combinations of hardware and software are many orders of magnitude greater than what’s available to testers, and well as the possible interactions of their bugs.

1 Like

If they offer a beta of 1.9 (rebranded 1.7), please sign me up.

3 Likes

Thanks. You kind of nailed it.

If Roon had listened to a focus group on initial design decisions (and not just sycophants but some hardcore critics as well) and implemented a proper beta testing protocol, then a lot (most?) of the negativity wouldn’t be needed. As it is, they messed up and many of us are letting them know that. Sure, no need for language one wouldn’t use in person, but if the team were sitting here in front of me in my living room, I wouldn’t have any problem telling them face to face how broken this release is and ideas on how to rescue it.

3 Likes

1st April…April Fool’s Day joke? :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe I should apologize for my comments and not complain because the software won’t start in Windows 10.

By the way, with the 1.7 all was flawless

I feel your frustration. I also have Windows 10 but my Roon is working fine.

I assume that you have contacted @support and trust that once they have fixed the glitch, you will be won over to 1.8.

You speak like you have some insights as to what goes on behind the scenes?

1 Like

Well, after this release some doesn’t need to be a genius to see that whatever goes behind the scenes doesn’t really look to well…

2 Likes