Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Thanks to all replies, I thought I was the only frustrated guy…but obviously not.
I really hope that Roon team will take this in consideration for a next release as it is a real killer ! For me without offline player (and I am talking about computer…Roon ARC is cool…but it does not replace the computer usage, far from), my subscription is definitely out of question…no way (And I was very closed to subscribe the costly lifetime)

I wanted to bring the vote into the awareness of more people by stating that in the hope even more people would see it and vote. :+1:

3 Likes

Best way for them to notice is if your not lifetime is to stop subscribing If this ridiculous action on their behalf does not agree with you. I bet most users who don’t frequent here or other forums have not a clue about this as we where not forewarned in any way. Just an out of context line in the release notes they likely hoped would go under the radar. Such a major change to the usage of Roon should have been upfront and centre but it was buried under a shiny new feature and version number.

9 Likes

Nope, it’s low because it’s not something the team at Roon care about.

I’ve switched back to LMS with Material skin and Squeezelite. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how the UI has progressed. It now handles artist and composer images along with album images. The Material skin turns my tablet into a pretty nifty remote and artist bios, album reviews etc. are all nicely incorporated too. With a bit more development and polish I think it’d a compelling alternative.

1 Like

This topic has been widely discussed (often contentiously) ever since the release of Roon 2.0 in September and spawned multiple threads. Here is the most recent active thread:

This has made me think back to discussions about what happens if Roon cease to operate.

I believe we’d be given an offline version we could use in perpetuity after that, especially if you were a lifetime subscriber.

What would happen now if offline is not possible, but Roon ceases operations and there’s no cloud service?

you’ll get some form of crippleware because the cloud stuff is now so deeply integrated the effort required to remove the dependencies would simply not transpire.

Yes, a clarifying statement about this from Roon would be appreciated.

I agree that it’s a rude awakening if you didn’t know this dependency was required. But you can use Roon ARC in offline mode with downloaded files.

Sounds like your roon core is on the laptop you carry with you? If it were on a machine at home with internet connectivity, you could also use Roon ARC from the plane if you are connected to wifi.

More of a solution-based response than a misery-loves-company response, but there are plenty of those to go around.

I suspect that there are ulterior motives, design oriented or otherwise, behind insisting on internet access. Yes, search sucks and will probably still suck, but that shouldn’t be enough to impose an internet dependency that alienates so many.

2 Likes

Not my experience with it over the last few weeks. Turned it off it just annoys me to use it and it’s dog slow to load. Material skin is well overrated and is just messy and the artist info add on is just poorly implemented, the UPnP plug-ins flakey as it’s always been and no global search option. I’d rather use PlexAmp and a pi than LMS direct to my streamer.

Nope, it’s the request with the highest vote count ever, in the shortest time

2 Likes

So do I, but it was pointless speculating in answering the question and we haven’t been given any sort of detailed answer as to why (nor would that help in any way really). We are stuck with it unless Roon have a change of mind or provide some sort or workaround. If it impacts subscriber intake then things might change?

1 Like

Think I recall reading a post when this came to light, probably from Danny, that stated Roon had been maintaining a separate “something” (parallel system) that allowed Roon to continue working with local library when the internet was unavailable. And maintaining that separate “something” was hindering them from moving forward with planned upgrades. Can’t say for sure but that is what I recall.

That had worked for us during a winter storm with rolling 4 hour blackouts, for several days, that also affected the internet service and cable provider. We have a whole house backup generator for power outages, but with the unexpected internet outage and no cable TV, Roon with the local library was all the entertainment we had during the outages.

I was very happy to discover that it worked with local files during those outages and disappointed to hear we will not have that going forward.

There are other options, mentioned on several posts, to use as a backup plan for internet outages.

I’ll continue to hope Roon comes up with something for no internet situations but I don’t see it coming anytime soon, if ever. I’m a lifer so all I can do is voice my disapproval and work on the backup plan.

3 Likes

According to Roon you should not, could not, must not have Internet outages ever in your life.

This one, there are others that mention some other aspects:

Dog slow makes no sense, it doesn’t even do a startup scan. I’m running a lib of close to 700k and its response on a lowly i3 7100-T is at least as good as Roon on a 4750-G. Your OS & database on SSD? Also, I’m using Pi4 into DAC exactly as I was with Roon. Just replaced Ropieee with RopieeeXL because it includes Squeezelite. Streaming to my DAC and various Chromecast Audio devices has worked out the box with no glitches. It has universal search too.

2 Likes

Doesn’t mean it’s a priority. Blind Freddie would’ve known it’s an unpopular move, they did it anyway because they’ve never cared about anything that they didn’t personally prioritise. Box sets are a great example of that, and there are many others.

1 Like

Indeed it doesn’t. But I was replying to you saying this about the number of votes being low:

Nope, it’s low because it’s not something the team at Roon care about

However, the count isn’t low, in context of all other requests. The priority is low, though. Or zero right now.