Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

And was fairly balanced in his opinions I think

roon 2.0 is amazing … i love it. … but that doesn’t change the point… we should be abble to play an album without internet and without sticking with an old version.

5 Likes

Perfect for listening offline. Can even be connected to the same DAC as your Roon Ready streamer.

1 Like

A thought comes to mind, my Roon ROCK core has an SSD with my main content. This is visible on my network so rather than get into dual maintenance , I sync my legacy system (JRiver) with the ROCK SSD

My question is will this be available should my internet fail , what parts of Roon depend on the internet

I understand the cloud computational stuff , but should I be maintaining a local HDD copy of my files to feed my legacy system ?

Your Roon OS will keep running and your SMB share will be available to other “consumers”.
You could basically run Roon OS as a NAS software, with Roon Server turned off…
Albeit with very limited configuration options…

I certainly would, as a hedge against unexpected events.

Over in a thread which I now see is “hidden”, I’ve been speculating about possible futures in a cloud-centric world. For instance, what if local files come to be regarded as being as obsolete as turntables and tape decks? Would Entrypoints grow to encompass connections to SMB shares of FLAC content?

7 posts were split to a new topic: Will local files come to be regarded as being as obsolete as turntables?

I thought he did a really good job!

7 Likes

Well I get what Darko is trying to convey - and the core argument it’s about the ongoing development of Roon which is definitely a necessity.
And still, even a limitation of functionality like no fancy search functionality causing the need of cloud computing and other stuff would be ok for users - but just the very essential functionality of browsing your local library and playing files (also without internet connection) is a basic requirement.

4 Likes

The music setup in my place is pretty dependant on RAAT streaming - so while I could repatch some things in a ‘no internet’ emergency - it’s quite involved - and I’d still loose music in most of my rooms.

What I’d like to see is the same as what happens in most cars when the air sensors etc fail - and the car switches into Limp Home mode. You lose most of what makes the car special - but you can at least drive it home (and to the dealer to get it fixed).

I the last 10 years I have had a few days when someone repatching cables in the area knocked out my internet for a day at a time. So it’s certainly not a regular thing - but I’d certainly like a security blanket if Roon can give me one.

6 Likes

works only if your DAC system accepts USB input, I ain’t upgrade my high end hifi setup for the sake of a roon upgrade induced regression

I don’t think I’ve seen a DAC in a while that doesn’t have USB input. @franck_boissiere what DAC are you using?

Several high end and expensive DACs don’t have USB input. Even if there was USB input, that did not mean that would be the one chosen for maximum sonic properties.

My DAC has USB, AES, SPDIF and BNC input. Yet I don’t use its USB input even though it supports higher sampling rate via USB. I prefer the sound of my DAC via its AES than its USB input even if it means accepting the maximum sampling rate to 192kHz and DSD64.

You are correct new DACs have a USB input, however not all installed base have.

For ex in my case I have in one setup a Naim Supernait which has no USB in, and in another an Emerson Analog as streamer connected to Naim Nait2, none of which have USB in.

But overall, the main issue is that because of a software change the owner should not have to upgrade all its Hi-Fi hardware (this is what I refered to somewhere else as the tail wagging the dog). I find already hard to swallow the need to upgrade the HW running the Roon core to comply with new requirements following a sofware upgrade.

All this smells like planned obsolescence :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This morning I booted my NUC Core and the laptop on which I play my audio. My internet connection was down, but Roon showed up normally. I browsed to ‘Albums’, which showed up nicely, and then inverted my ‘not played’ focus filter to ‘played’. While a lot of albums did show up, a dozen or so only had titles and greyed out covers. After a few seconds, Roon said it could not find my Core and then showed ‘Uh oh, something’s not right’. So no more Roon.

Is this the expected behaviour? Might it have something to do with Roon looking for the covers online, failing and dropping the connection entirely?

My internet luckily came back up after a minute, after which Roon started working again, so no biggie. I’d just like to be sure what actions will allow me to play music when the intetnet is down, and which actions will break Roon :slight_smile:

Roon 2.0 requires an internet connection 24/7 in order to work. As said many times in this topic. :slightly_smiling_face:

It would appear that this is unpredictable and probably depends upon one’s configuration.

Very unpredictable.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/internet-connectivity-worldwide-impacted-by-severed-eu-subsea-cables/

2 Likes

I have to ask, what is the point of ROON if I can’t play music without internet. I bought this product to give my local digital collection of music a beautiful home. NOT to have it restricted by those enhancements. Now with this internet requirement you’ve negated the core feature you sold me on in the first place.

If I can’t play a file I own, on a machine I built, running in my own home network I set up, I don’t want to use roon.

6 Likes

I would also like to share my thoughts and feedback on this topic, mainly to Roon. I’m a lifetime subscriber and bought Roon a few years ago as a great place to store and make my music available in it’s native quality to the various devices I have at home and people I live with. I love that I could build a silent and low power Rock system connect that to my hifi amp, have the best sound quality and control all of this directly from the Roon app on my laptop, tablet or phone. I do also like the idea that I could now access this music remotely and store a cache on my phone simply as this means I no longer need to maintain the second library which is a subset of what I have in Roon. However, I would 100% not have bought Roon if it did not allow me to play my local music without a constantly active internet connection. If there are technical reasons that you (Roon) wish to offload new functionality to a cloud based service, fine, provide an enhanced experience when online but don’t prevent basic use when offline. I do wonder, if a single google search uses the equivalent of 1 hour powering a lightbulb (perhaps that’s an internet myth), what activity Roon will be performing on my behalf around me playing my local music? I do not wish to be constantly triggering external resources to be used. I guess I took a level of risk signing up for a lifetime software license but the thought I would not be able to continue using the most basic functionality if my internet connection goes down absolutely did not occur to me. I have a reliable internet connection but it is going to be unavailable at some points due to failures or perhaps when I switch to another provider etc. How am I going to be feeling about Roon during this period and I wish to listen to my music? there are times when I just want to sit back and listen to my hifi. I’ll perhaps not be getting rid of that duplicate music library I have to fill my phone. Please rethink.

11 Likes