Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Hey, I love Roon, I wanted mobile, and the 2.0 release was a resounding success until this nugget. But this seems just such an unbalanced decision. If the advocates of better search had been asked if they wanted better search for the price of losing all ability to use Roon without internet, I wonder what the answers would have been.

9 Likes

Well said! :+1:

A well deserved sh*tstorm.

Good lord! For what reason should I stick to roon? There is loads of better streaming services. I have to say goodbye to roon now. Livetime for the bin.

Thanks for never listening to your customers in other words: thanks for nothing.

2 Likes

Oh well, it’s sad and annoying, but whatever, I’ll set up Asset again for these times and there’s always the vinyl. For my personal use, it’s not the end of the world and maybe if it helps Roon grow, it’s all for the better. I guess that’s what they are hoping for and maybe they are right.

Can you clarify if it was just playing or you interacted with the core via the gui?

For a temporary internet outage, do you really need all of that? I think Audirvana Origin might.

My expectation is that the fire created by this profoundly blind and bad decision will force them to implement a workaround.

I have it on my list to set up minimserver tonight.

1 Like

I thought you meant as a permanent replacement for Roon.

Depends how long I guess. Probably not for an evening, but there will be other people whose usage relied on having the 30 days. They will be stuck with 1.8

Nothing wrong with Roon 1.8. It’s Roon 2.0 without Roon ARC and improved Mac.

Well, Danny has the insider stats: perhaps 250k happy customers, 50 unhappy ones. People threatening to leave, I don’t think they care.

Yeah for now. The gap will grow with every update to 2.0

danny said: To do this effectively, those resources would need to be moved outside the home, into the cloud, thus requiring internet access.

Whow, even more server farms, even more global warming, sounds like a very sustainable, future-oriented concept.

That’s why I would find a solution other than harp on Danny. Maybe I’m too pragmatic.

Customer feedback is good to have, especially about things that make them unhappy. That’s not harping, it’s the result of taking things away from users that they built their workflow on, without giving them a replacement. Life of a software developer, and it’s why our company goes to great lengths not to do that.

1 Like

I interacted with the core on the Windows PC that the Core is located on and with an Android remote. I played music from different albums and had no problem navigating and playing. I can, however, confirm that “search” does not work offline with 2.0

We could live with that! :smiley:

1 Like

I agree. But saying the same thing over more than once becomes obtrusive and vexatious.

Absolutely. All I want to know the what does and does not work in case of internet outage.

3 Likes

Does sort work? If one can at least sort they can then scroll to the song. How long will it play?