Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

No issues at all. I switch back and forth at home on occasions just to give my Dell time to automatically catch up with all my added Tidal and Qobuz linked albums.

Whatā€™s to sort out? Itā€™s a done deal.

As much as I hate it. This feature will not return, not if they want to push forward with the future of Roon.

1 Like

I use my Verizon hotspot data when away from home. I have 135GB hotspot and sometimes run out within two weeks or sooner. At that point, I switch to Apple Music and unlimited iPhone data.

Streaming I suppose. Because thatā€™s a lot of data to play local files only ā€¦

you guys are acting like the original was a stand-alone application. Have you sniffed what the core is doing? That sucker is chatty on 1.8. Itā€™s always been no internet, no roon; itā€™s just more tightly coupled to their servers now. But it was always coupled.

Sheldon

2 Likes

I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. Some features were hobbled like meta data and search but one wasnā€™t prevented from playing files on the Coreā€™s local library.

1 Like

No matter what the core used to ā€œchatā€ about, it is actually a very large change. Previously it was possible to run without an Internet connection for many days.

1 Like

Sure, you had a grace period, where it was sort of hobbled and some features didnā€™t work, but never was it designed to work like a wide variety of other streaming music servers where you donā€™t HAVE to have the internet at all. Roon has always required internet connectivity to get metadata and also to phone home for licensing checks. Thatā€™s been baked in for as long as Iā€™ve been using it and it appears to have always been that way. This is a shade of grey, not a radical change from my perspective.

Sure, it changed and it sucks. Just like them working on ARC (a feature I donā€™t need or want) instead of making the mac app look and feel like a native app sucks for my use case. My suggestion is to have a backup streaming method for your hardware. The obvious one for my stable of hardware is airplay.

Sheldon

2 Likes

Just trying to imagine what would happen if Adobe would decide to do the same thing, no Photoshop, Lightroom and other Creative Cloud apps functioning without active internetā€¦

My yearly Roon subscription ends June next year, so enough time to look for an alternative. And no, 1.8 legacy is not an alternative. Not without the option of getting a lifetime license on it for a reasonably small amount of money.

I lost a lot of trust in this company. As we say in Dutch: ā€œtrust comes by foot, but leaves on a horseā€.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t Adobe switch to a subscription model quite a while ago?

Like a decade or so. However thereā€™s a 30 day grace period for calling home to check if the licence is valid.

1 Like

What happens if you need to use an app after a more than 30-day hiatus and the internet is down?

It (Adobe app) will go on in a kind of limb mode. For example in Lightroom you cannot edit anymore, but are still allowed to do export etc.

But this would not work on the case of no Internet since the core A need to be deauthorized and you need to login to the core B but you would need Internet to do all that. Itā€™s a chicken and egg dillema again.

Yes, weā€™ve covered that. @Jim_Fā€™s solution is to use a cellular hotspot to do the switch.

Not and ideal solution for everyone - I use an Intel NUC with ROCK, no wifi enabled.

That is going to byte someone when they least expect it. Whether the grace period is zero days or 30 days, itā€™s there, so if itā€™s really critical, you need a backup plan.

Personally I never have found it an issue, it means that until now I always have been back on the net within 30 days.

The point is that Adobe did not decide to bring operations to the cloud, despite how tempting that might be.
IMHO the ā€œengineering maffiaā€ inside Roonlabs could learn something from that.

Yep, it ainā€™t happening. This subject can be filed away with the Folder Browsing request.

Itā€™s apparent from Dannyā€™s comments that this just isnā€™t in line with Roonā€™s plans. :frowning: