Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

I am glad we have a 5G backup (WAN2 on the firewall). With the primary down we will only listen to the local library.

2 Likes

How about telling us how long we can have an outage before Roon 2.0 complains and we canā€™t use it instead of gracing us with little quips.

2 Likes

Well that is no use really as the core is in my house (that loses internet regularly) and I donā€™t need to play music in my car or wherever. I bought Roon to use in my home. Does the new legacy 1.8 run native on Apple silicon? Honestly Dannyā€¦do you REALLY think that this is a good move? I see some serious backlash coming from many users. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars getting a system together based on Roon. Now you tell me my music listening is going to be dictated by my ISP! I am stunned!!!

12 Likes

Hey Danny

Thanks for this info. Unfortunately Roon has made a catastrophic decision in requiring an internet connection to run local library files with 2.0. I live in an area with unstable internet, sometimes going down for days. This is quite unfortunate, indeed. On top of this if we stay on 1.8, Roon reminds me of an update availability all day long.

I am a lifetime subscriber and my family and I love Roon, it is amazing. I have been such a big supporter, but if Roon does not change their posture on this, I will be forced to move on. This is such a disappointment.

Please let us know how we continue to stay on 1.8, with out the constant reminders on the iOS and macOS platforms. Thank you!

11 Likes

Please clarify this one, as I understand it ARC locally downloaded files will only play if the core (and by extension ARC) is online?

1 Like

you need to go to 1.8 Legacy, not 1.8 Stable (from before). On the Legacy build, it wont bug you to update.

ARC can play offline for longer periods, as cell connection is often intermittent and common use cases include expectations of limited functionality. For example, when people are on long haul flights.

Try it out!

Hey Danny, I hope you understand our extreme disappointment for the requirement of continuous internet connectivity. Not a good decision at all. Please please please reconsider this decision.

However, can you let us know how we update to 1.8 legacy for the remotes and my i5 SGC? Also is your December ending of support for 1.8 the same for 1.8 legacy? Thanks, Ron

7 Likes

Reliably? Zero.

I keep saying it: Roon 2.0 requires an internet connection. Thatā€™s not a quip. Itā€™s not a witty remark. Itā€™s being as direct and straight to the point as possible.

This is the only reason we have provided a 1.8 Legacy build.

1 Like

Will 1.8 Legacy build remain for years or is this only available for a few months?

So, I have an extensive local library that I canā€™t listen to if my ISP out here in the country that often loses power, loses power?

This is a bad decision on your (Roonā€™s) part.

4 Likes

And we are asking point blank what happens if my internet has:

1- A momentary slowdown or latency issue - say a 1 minute blackout

2- A few hours of no service?

I think youā€™re saying in both cases ā€œno music for you, local or otherwiseā€.

If this is the case today, I predict the fire under your seat will be intense.

4 Likes

1- In the best and most common situation, nothing happens, and the music will keep playing just fine. In the worst case, you may get an error when you attempt to interact with Roon (depending on what you do), but no matter what you did, itā€™ll work when you try again 1 minute later.

2- Same as above, but replace 1 minute with 4 hours.

Verizon over coax in Manhattan (fios not available everywhere) has easily 30 sec to 2 min blackouts at least once an hour. I know because I use the Peloton bikes in the building gym. Fortunately that is not my service at home.

This is an absolutely disastrous design decision.

I can imagine that you went with a design of a ā€œfully cloud based systemā€. Sounds cute but in practice reliability is more important.

2 Likes

The previous result was errors, funny behavior, and inconsistency with metadata updates and search.

This fixes all that and put the power of fixing your internet in your own hands.

Try it out, I doubt most of you will have issues unless you are losing access for long periods of time.

Curious, how do they react to the outage?

That is a blatantly false claim. Are you kidding us?

2 Likes

Funny you ask! Version 1 blacked out. And it was such a disaster that version 2 allows you to cache the workouts.

1 Like

Not my use case. When outside, Iā€™m doing outside! :grinning: (and I also unplug everything electrical noncritical at home).

Flying/driving itā€™s a valid scenario for me only if it can work offline for long periods of time, think going 2 weeks in vacation: driving 18 hours first day, it will be nice to use ARC (with android auto only but letā€™s say that it will come one day), next 12 days I really donā€™t care about music, then the last day enjoying ARC again on the long way back. And in all this time I donā€™t want to keep (and Iā€™ll never will) the core powered up at homeā€¦

You want to stream from your home after 12 days without a Core powered on at your home?

Nope. From the local (downloaded) ARC library, on the offline ARC device.

1 Like

Oh, ARC does not support going offline for that long without a license check. Youā€™ll get a few days at most. You wonā€™t get that with any streaming serviceā€™s downloaded content either (or at least not that I know of).