Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Stay on legacy 1.8

1 Like

If you reach out to the support team they will quickly help you. They helped me extremely quickly yesterday to something that bugged the hell out of me.

I’m sure there’s help pages in the Knowledge Base on Roons website.

Can I downgrade from Roon 2.0 to Roon 1.8 anytime?
The answer is (unfortunately) no. The window to downgrade will be open for approximately 6 weeks from the release of Roon 2.0. During this time you can move back to 1.8 by following the instructions below.

You understand that’s just a lottery, right? Many people got lifetime when Roon launched, and I’m sure many people got lifetime one day before 2.0.

No, I don’t – it’s an investment for which I expect a decent return. Further, as far as I can tell from everything I’ve read, there’s absolutely no reason why this functionality really needed to be removed

I’m unsure how Roon is an investment. Do you think you’ll sell your lifetime subscrition to someone for more money?

1 Like

All I can say is that your expectations were wrong, considering nobody can force Roon to do anything and that the only leverage we subscribers have is to stop subscribing.

1 Like

Thanks for that info.

1 Like

You can revert back to 1.8 Legacy by following the migration instructions. Or you could uninstall 2.0 and the install Legacy, making sure that you have correctly backed up your database. Don’t forget to install Legacy on any remotes.

Just a reminder of what’s actually been said.

1. Offline access is not on the roadmap going forwards
  2. Offline access continues to be available on 1.8 Legacy
  3. There is no fixed date for Roon ceasing support for Legacy. This will depend, in part, on the uptake of Legacy.
  4. Legacy will continue to be available after support ceases. No mention has been made of discontinuing its availability

Another important point is that a well-configured Core can be run with low data usage. If you have access to mobile data and a Core that is capable of a Wifi connection, you can create a hotspot and run Roon without using much mobile data. For best results, when using this method, you should change Artwork to “Prefer file”. As long as your Core isn’t doing anything else, you can listen to local library music for only a few MB of mobile date usage per hour.

2 Likes

An investment does not have to mean a financial return. When I “invested” in my audio system (after 30 years or so without one), the ROI is “enjoyment of that audio system for many years”

1 Like

I don’t need anything other than tags and bookmarks and shuffle for 90% of my listening. Not sure why @roon is trying to hurt current, honest users. If you want to fix anything then improve the sound quality.

1 Like

While we have this downgrade to 1.8 Legacy for around 6 weeks…

Do we know if this is going to cause an issue with our license if we keep two core machines?

Like some, I have two cores which I can switch between. I hope that I can keep 2.0 running on my main machine but, happily deauthorise it, and use 1.8 Legacy if and when I need to.

1. I’d be surprised if there are enough 1.8 Legacy users in relation to the total subscribers to keep Roon interested in supporting 1.8 Legacy for an extended period of time.

4….Didn’t Roon state there is only a 6 week window to switch from 2.0 to 1.8 Legacy? That sounds like availability for a very limited time. What am I missing?

It might no longer be available to download, but it will be available to use. In other words, if you have it then you can still use it.

1 Like

Ok gents, I’ve had to slow-mode this thread again. There’s a growing number of patently untrue statements and misrepresentations being posted here and frankly, it’s gotten well out of hand.

This forum is here to provide information, support, and a pleasant place to talk music, gear, and share stories with our customers. This isn’t your Facebook page, Instagram story, Twitter Account, TikTok account, where you can post whatever nonsense you wish and to hell with those who don’t like it or disagree.

We really shouldn’t have to explain this to anyone. But here we are.

Here are the court rules for this thread moving forward:

Remember - just because you think something doesn’t make it true.

• Don’t post supposition or conjecture as fact, it will be removed.

• Do not repost comments that have been moderated or removed. If you do, you will be suspended.

• Do not make ad hominem attacks on Roon Staff or other customers.

• If you have to stop and think about whether what you’re about to post about Roon or our products is factual or not, don’t post it.

• If you have any questions about what appropriate behavior looks like on Community the answers can be found here.

We understand that you’re upset with some of the changes that came with Roon 2.0. But you cannot post false statements, or other figments of your imagination, about Roon Labs, Roon, or ARC as if they are true. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding moving forward. In other words, please stop. Thanks.

15 Likes

Has your investment in Roon failed to deliver yet? Or is this hypothetical what-ifism?

If so, I’m super curious. Please explain where it failed, and how the failure manifested, and what you were forced to do as an alternative. I’d also like to understand what your setup is like when this failure occurred.

These details will also help me understand if your failure would have done something different on 1.8.

You just earned hero status with me.

5 Likes

Maybe I’m just a Neanderthal, but can you point out the insult please?

Had an internet outage at 3am today. Reset ISP’s one box wonder and forgot to set it back to modem mode. No Roon Arc for me today.

As per another thread on here, I had a fallback plan and used Spotify. Could have used Tidals native app but I just don’t like it.

Moderator clarification: The statement below is the product of Larry Magoo’s imagination. It has no factual value.

Hey Hugo…what do you think now that Shuffle is gone with 2.0? They simply would not have gone to the tremendous effort it took to gives us ARC, if it was not for profitable data acquisition…when anyone listens to mobile music, the SQ is not anywhere it is when listening to your main system…so why all that effort when iTunes does the same thing? It does not makes sense otherwise…

1 Like

Audirvana may suit your needs.

1 Like