Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

But then you need a player for those files. What I am suggesting works with a USB connected DAC.

To be clear, my suggestion is a joke!

1 Like

It doesnā€™t have to be ROCK. Roon core also runs on Linux and Windows. Iā€™m not saying everyone should do it, Iā€™m saying itā€™s possible to run other servers at the same time. I run both Roon core and LMS on my machine. One more reason for me to avoid locked systems.

1 Like

Seriously? Plug my phone into my DAC via USB and play whatever ARC cached on it when roon core wonā€™t play music from my file server without internet?

1 Like

Cloud services are accessed through interfaces. roonlabs can write one alternate implementation of those interfaces which use local metadata and provide ā€œreducedā€ functionality as it existed in the code before moving to the new whizbang cloud-based search. Theyā€™d mostly just have to refactor some old code to run behind a facade that implements the interface(s) defined for the cloud services. If they use dependency injection in the code (and who doesnā€™t?) then when the cloud implementation times out due to an internet outage, the code can fail-over to the ā€œreducedā€ (i.e., local) implementation by injecting a new ā€œreducedā€ instance of the interface in place of the cloud interface. The discipline of writing a second, simple fail-over implementation might even make the cloud-based implementation more robust and testable.

- Eric

2 Likes

Are there any plans to support customers that want to continue to run local search on their own hardware? Iā€™ve been budgeting to get a Roon lifetime subscription, but couldnā€™t justify it with local search being discontinued. There is a big opportunity cost here not just from existing customers, but potential customers. Roon stands out from the pack by being a local solution, but with an always connected requirement, it loses some of that appeal.

Would you please understand what you are saying is:

1- Absolutely obvious and pointless

2- Misses the point completely

I try to keep it cool but really I am starting to get annoyed.

maybe there could be a win/win situation here. Roon wants to move to targeting a cloud platform to streamline their development, and make use easier for new, and non technical customers.

If that is the case, could roon make available a docker / container file for their cloud server instance, so that I could run that ā€œcloud serverā€ in my home?

This is the idea of a dedicated server. Most customers wouldnā€™t have to use it, but customers that want it, could.

I donā€™t think this is a good idea: on top of fragility youā€™d have more latency. Plus you would always need some form of bridge between the cloud code and your local network.

Well, we already have something called Roon Bridge.

That is not the same thing. That allows your device to work as an endpoint.

Well, thatā€™s what it does right now. But what does that mean? It means that the bridge can access the network ā€“ and the Core can access the bridge. Suppose the bridge could reach out, instead, to a Core in the cloud. The bridge already pulls data from the Core to play it. Why does the Core have to be on the LAN instead of the WAN?

It would be a nice convenience option for many customers, to not have to have a Nucleus or other Core machine in-house. Maybe that kind of setup would only support RAAT. But that would probably be OK, too. After all, there are lots of Roon Ready devices already, and Roon Ready streamers for devices which donā€™t already have Roon inside.

As for latency, Iā€™d say that the various other streaming services have already demonstrated that it is not an insuperable problem.

Get it on the roadmap and get it fixed, please.

1 Like

Well it is unclear the Roon team sees it as an issue at all.

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate!
Iā€™m thankful for family, friends, a warm home, and music to fill itā€¦

Also thankful for choice. My Roon subscription is cancelled and Iā€™ve moved to a platform thatā€™s continuing in the direction I prefer. I wasnā€™t a lifetime subscriber but Iā€™ve been using Roon for years and was heavily invested. But none the less, I encourage others to just walk away rather than beat a dead horse. Re-purpose your hardware and move on. Ultimately Iā€™m happier for taking matters into my own hands.

And always be thankful for what we have.
-S

8 Likes

Absolutely spot on! Couldnā€™t agree more with this sentiment.

Roon has effectively turned our music libraries into something we have no control over

5 Likes

I agree with this characterization.

However, it is easy to think that simply removing search when the internet is out is an easily accomplished task. In reality I donā€™t think it is. My read is Roon made the decision when they started writing 2.0 to rely on cloud-based APIs liberally. This means the Roon code calls these functions liberally everywhere - and these functions can ONLY work if thereā€™s an internet connection. Reworking the code to be fault-tolerant to no internet is probably a fairly complicated task.

To be honest, I think the decision is an incredibly bad one - and makes me question the quality of the Roon development team and more so the skill of the management team not to see this issue right away. I would venture it was a cavaliere decision without a lot of thought - an issue that could have been avoided with more careful design. But now the team is knee-deep in this decision. In my opinion, at a large software firm, this would result in those approving this decision to be dismissed. But we are talking a tiny team here, so you fire danny and youā€™re out in the cold.

2 Likes

The Roon team has proven to be incredibly sharp and resourceful. I doubt they expected anything like the customer reaction theyā€™ve received on this. IMHO, Iā€™ll be surprised if they donā€™t come up with a way of dealing with offline internet and local music. But it does behoove them to make a formal statement of their intent on this issue. (If they already have, I havenā€™t seen it).

I, for one, will undoubtedly stick with Roon 2.0 (and beyond), but Iā€™d also seek my own alt solution for the times the internet is offline. Perhaps just keeping 1.8 Legacy installed on a spare laptop ready to go would work fine. I havenā€™t tried it (yet) but I would if I knew a 2.0 solution was not forthcoming from Roon.

Having a spare 1.8 is a good idea (may do the same). I guess the issue might be that you canā€™t login / switch the license over from 2.0 if you had already lost internet connectivity.

I think this issue can also be viewed in a broader light. It seems to me that even pre-2.0 versions of Roon were also overly reliant on your network connection at home and didnā€™t do much/enough caching, e.g. for the structure of your database and cover images. Whenever the connection is for some reason slower than needed, issues and slowdowns occur.

Iā€™m trying to use Roon ARC on the go as much as possible to see if itā€™s a suitable alternative to my music player with locally stored files. However, it sometimes fails to just load my music library, loses cover images, or is generally slow in loading up the structure of my library. The offline toggle fixes some of this, but not all, and it doesnā€™t make much sense to me that I have to tell Roon it shouldnā€™t be looking for my core when Iā€™m not on 4/5G or Wifi.

I donā€™t know if this can be generalised, and donā€™t mean to offend the Roon team, but it seems that it has to do with little consideration for fault tolerance and robust design and development in Roon products in general. All my Roon clients, be it Roon for desktop, Roon remote on two Android devices or Roon ARC, crash or lock up frequently, generally more than once a day. More than anything, Iā€™d wish the Roon team would invest in making more robust products.

3 Likes

It seems that with these constant upgrades, itā€™s like we are using a beta version. However it also looks like Roon is addressing this very issue with the launch of a Qucik Access program to assist with beta testing prior to release.

This is a good move on Roonā€™s part and it shows that they are listening.

Here is the category they created for it. Do not know if they are still inviting new users or not in case you would be interested.

ā€“MD