Roon 2.0 and internet connectivity [it's just like 1.8 now]

Ok interesting. Everything that was said by @danny plus a user’s experience above would imply this should not work.

Are you able to use the Roon client to control playback of local files?

I have a CD player but most of my CDs are in storage. And I have a large number of files that were bought in download form.

1 Like

Yeah and I ripped all my 1000 CDs because I can always listen to the rips on the Core even without internet :rofl:

4 Likes

I just want to add my support to the idea of an unrestricted offline mode for use with local files (no problem with license checks every x days). I get that I’d have to do without all bells and whistles during outages, but I can live with that. I moved from LMS to roon not too long ago and up to now I absolutely love it. It would be a real shame to have to set up an alternative just for that use case. For the reasons that have already been mentioned here, staying with the legacy version is not something I am considering.

So I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope that a future update will address this issue.

4 Likes

Don’t know about the bells and whistles. So far everything that didn’t require internet worked just fine, credits with links, art, etc. There is a local database after all. I laboriously added lyrics to my local files, that kept working as well, because why not. Now it’s all going to be locked into the Rock during an outage. Why, these are My Files

1 Like

Since there’s no Linux graphical client, I’m using my iPad as a Roon remote. This is my chain: iPad > WiFi > Roon Core > Local files on Core > USB DAC attached to Core > preamp > amp > speakers

My Qobuz login failed, of course, so the only thing I see in my Roon library is local files. Some local are missing album art, but still playing those local files without issue. Roon is even starting radios based on my local files. Just shy of 2 hours without internet access. Will continue to update with offline timing.

5 Likes

Roon should allow folder browsing of my local files when internet is down.
/sarcasm

2 Likes

Why would @danny be so stark about “no internet no roon” then? If I have a Roon db on my NUC and I can browse and play local files, there is no diff compared to 1.8 (by and large).

1 Like

This is not part of the deal, Roon Team ! Many Roon users have a personal library that is rich of tracks that might not even exist in streaming sites. And we WANT to be able to access and play the best out of OUR paid for music even when Internet is down !!! This is important.

By the way the interest of ARC goes to nil when Internet goes down!. Therefore rather than down-grading to Roon 1.8 (and we are only at Roon 2.0) what should be preserved, in Roon 2.0 and beyond, is that simple 30-days limit.
The issue of not being able to listen to our own music when Internet goes down is a contentious issue, that Roon should be considering given that many Roon customers are potentially concerned with.

6 Likes

I just turned off my core, started Arc and I am now playing downloaded albums. Works fine.
Is this expected behavior?

The discussion here is about Roon not working with local files at home, when the core is not connected to internet, right?

yup

mostly… just remove “with local files” from your question and you’ll be right.

Thank you for that. I started a test this morning, but demand for the internet in the house outweighed my experiments!

2 Likes

…oh, how important internet access is for many things in life :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m guessing because, from a technical standpoint, there’s no guarantee that this works, so it’s actually correct to say it doesn’t work and isn’t supported, then have it work when users try. That’s in contrast to saying “it should work”, people buy the software, and then it actually doesn’t. In this case, it’s a positive and unwarranted usage.

It’s built to not work like this. So I would be cautiously optimistic that this work 100% of this time. As requested, I’ll also restart my core later, sans internet access and see what happens.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I think that Roon’s interaction with the internet hugely enhances the local experience. It’s wonderful software. The only thing I’m hoping to see is that when the internet goes down, 2.0 will still work (with limited functionality - of course).

4 Likes

I don’t think this is the case. @danny went out of his way to state that it will stop working - he knows exactly what we are talking about and was likely instrumental in agreeing to this design decision.

@danny

Lifetime subscriber but holding off on 2.0 until I get a firmer upstanding of ROON 2.0 functionality when losing internet service.
Your reply is helpful but cryptic. Please elaborate on the “reduced” functionality in the event of internet loss.

Thanks,

1 Like

Was this internet-on prerequisite introduced due to technical reasons or for concerns of piracy?

If my computer OS or phone stopped working completely for local tasks that don’t require internet as soon as it loses internet, I would ditch it in an instant. This is what Roon seems to be doing

4 Likes

But it doesn’t stop working. At least not straight away and not in terms of playback. The question is why, when and how does it stop working and how is this different from 1.8?