Roon 2.0 and Linux (Wine) .. is 32bit needed? [answer: no, wine supports 64bit]

Not being familiar with flatpak or bottles, I found some of the instructions mysterious or missing. I was able to install flatpak on Ubuntu 22.04, then follow Martin’s instructions to install bottles. But then what?

OK. How? Turns out you use flatpak to start bottles, with the following magical terminal incantation:

$ flatpak run com.usebottles.bottles

That brings up a window which allows you to finish setting up bottles. Then you have to create a bottle. But there are three flavors of bottle! I chose “Application” (Thanks, Matt!), and called it “Roon-runner”.

For this, I used Matt’s instructions:

RoonSetup64.exe no longer seems to exist. I used RoonInstaller64.exe. There is no prompt for dotnet install dependency. But exit the installer (Cancel it) anyway. Continue with Matt’s step 5, but I used dotnet48. It takes a while. I guess, ignore the copious error messages. (“It’s Wine, Jake.”)

OK, now get back to the top level of the bottle (press the back arrow). Run the Roon installer executable. Let it finish. The Roon window will pop up and work. Exit that window.

Now back to Martin’s instructions:

You do this by selecting vertical 3 dots at the top level of the bottle’s “Details” window, then the “Change Launch Options” menu item. Add the option to the Command Line.

Back to Matt:

The window is called “Details”, not “Details & Utilities”, but otherwise, OK, but the hamburger is just three dots in a vertical stack. Selected Add Desktop Entry. But no desktop entry. I exited Bottles, then tried to restart it, and found I had something called “Run Roon using Bottles”. I tried it, and got the Roon control window on my Linux desktop.

Success!

I have to say, this is still quite a bit easier than trying to use Wine raw. Hooray Bottles!

1 Like