Roon 2.0 Constantly Quitting on MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.0.1 [Investigating - Ticket in]

I just installed Roon 2.0 on my MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar with 500GB SSD HD & 16GB RAM and everytime I open the app, about 10 mins later it auto crashes/quits and leaves a detailed crash report.

Any assistance… anyone else experiencing this.

I have re-installed macOS Venture two already with no change.

Regards,
Anthony

Are you running as a core only (RoonServer) or Roon with the GUI or just as a remote with Core elsewhere??

What Roon build?

Hello again The Wiz… I’m running Roon with the GUI and it’s the very latest version from the Roon Website (2.0 Build 1148). No Roon Server on my MacBookPro… just the Roon GUI app. It all runs much better and faster than my MacPro with 1.8… but finding it unstable with all the crashing.

I’m running macOS Ventura 13.0.1 in my MacBook Pro.

Regards,
Anthony

I guess hang in there till support can get the logs

1 Like

I just tried a complete uninstall of ROON and re-install or ROON. This time though as I only use ROON with TIDAL, I decided to do a very clean install, not a Backup Restore… so I logged into my TIDAL account… is started to add all the music and playlists that I had… so I was hopeful all was going to be OK this time… but it just quit now again… so right now… I cannot use ROON at all on my MacPro running macOS Ventura 13.0.

Did you remove also all the roon related folders in your ~/library/roon as one example raat is another one

2 Likes

Hi again The Wiz… I use an app called CleanMyMac X that is supposed to delete all these associated files also… but I will have a look now and see if that was deleted… and if not… delete and re-install again.

Cheers again for your persistent assistance. It’s very much appreciated.

Regards,
Anthony

1 Like

I’ve seen corrupted audio files crash roon in the past, so maybe don’t import any local music and see if you can run that way with just streaming services enabled

1 Like

Hi again The Wiz… I’m only all about streaming anyways, have been for many years now… but I do have a massive TIDAL Music Collection of added albums, tracks and playlists that go into the many many hundreds (6,000 albums and 52K tracks)… but all worked perfectly on my Mac Pro running Roon 1.8 and macOS Mojave. It’s only metadata… surely that couldn’t be the issue. I have the crash report but it’s too large to copy and paste into a message here and no contact from Roon official support yet.

Sounds like it’s an isolated issue with my setup… not a global issue with Roon and Ventura, which I was hoping as it might be fixed quickly.

Thanks again for all your help and assistance. So disappointing it can’t remain stable. Roon 1.8 was rock solid in on my MacPro.

Regards,
Anthony

@support some help for Anthony please guys

1 Like

Not much help, but I’m also running Roon 2.0 (1148) on a 2017 MBP 15" with Touch Bar / 16G / 500G on Ventura 13.0.1 and I don’t experience any stability issues during playback.
I do however have a separate machine for running the Core, so the macOS application is only used for control.

Sebastian

1 Like

Cheers for your input Sebastian… yeeaaahhh… I have been trawling through the various support categories and no one is reporting similar issues… and the face you have the same hardware and macOS as me… again… confirms, it’s something local to my machine that is causing the conflict. No official support or even comments from Roon yet… I really hope they can assist… as of now… my ROON is just not functional.

Thanks again for taking the time to drop me your info. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Anthony

Can anyone from Support please assist me troubleshoot this issue… not having it working on my MacBook Pro is really frustrating… all worked perfectly on my MacPro using Roon 1.8 Legacy ???

Please assist.

Regards,
Anthony

With not one reply or assistance from ROON Support… I have decided to move back from my MacBook Pro (running macOS Ventura + Roon 2.0) to my MacPro (running macOS Mojave + Roon 1.8) and instantly, everything works perfectly again.

I would still like to get it working on my MacBook Pro as I could see that the GUI was snappier and afterall, I am a paying subscriber… and want to get the value of using Roon 2.0 also.

Hi @Anthony_McCarthy,

I apologize for the delay. Support is backed up but we are certainly getting to every case as soon as possible.

I would like to see the logging from your other Mac to figure things out. There are a couple of possibilities. The app you used may not have removed all relevant files and it’s also possible your database is causing the 2.0 crash. I’m going to list some instructions below for you to try.

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page

Please follow these steps and do not import your database. Test functionality with Tidal and let me know.

Please note: If you import the database into 2.0 it will be problematic to use that same database in 1.8 legacy. You’ll have to use the backup you took in 1.8 to import it again.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Hi Wes…

And thank you for your support.

I only use ROON for TIDAL playback… so is there a way I can clean off all the ROON files off my MacBook Pro (macOS Ventura + Roon 2.0) and do a clean install…? I don’t have to use any old databases… I will start from scratch… no issues… anything to resolve this…

Keep in mind… when I first started using Roon 2.0 on my MacBook Pro I never used the backup I had migrated over… I just started fresh by selecting TIDAL as my music source…

Does that make sense…?

1 Like

You’re making total sense :upside_down_face:

Ok, here are the instructions and file locations. One of the things to keep in mind is that some security software can cause Roon to not work. Avast and AVG have been the two major culprits. In my case, I’m running Ventura 13.0.1 as well and Kaspersky actually brought me down. I had to disable the filters it applied under Mac’s system settings>network.

Another thing to consider is adding Roon to any AV/Security exceptions. link here.

Here are the instructions for the clean install. I don’t have any reason to believe that your software for removing the application was the cause but as you know, troubleshooting is all about the process of elimination!

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page

Wes

1 Like

I don’t have either of those… but I do have CleanMyMac X, but I have that in my MacPro running macOS Mojave and no issues there ever with Roon 1.8, or any of the previous Roon versions.

I will try the clean install and see if that resolves it. Cheers again Wes. Sorry for taking a pop earlier, just very frustrating not being able to get the one app I love and adore to work on my MacBook Pro with macOS Ventura + brand new shinny Roon 2.0… :slight_smile:

Regards,
Anthony

Hey, no problem! My music is my addiction and I completely understand.

Let me know.

Wes

1 Like

Hi again Wes…

I have already done the new clean install, but soon after the new version I downloaded from the Roon website was installed… it hung… froze… so I Force Quit, and I have just now launched again… and it’s still currently adding all my TIDAL Albums & Playlists… of which I have a massive, massive, massive collection. I’m an electronic music DJ on the weekends… on a radio station I helped started up with a few other fellow music addicted middle aged men… during COVID… all good, mid-life crisis type fun!! lol

I’ll update as to how things go :slight_smile:

Anthony