OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
System Model HP EliteBook 840 G1
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard L71 Ver. 01.10, 25-3-2014
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8,00 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Hardwired (ethernet through the house from router)
Orbi Mesh (353, 3 satellites) system for wifi

Remotes

Connected Audio Devices

Above Laptop > Chord Mojo 2 > McIntosh (main music listening is on Roon Core in dedicated music room)
Other remotes Ipad, Iphone, Imac, Apple TV, Samsung TV (Google Chromecast)

Number of Tracks in Library

46,000 tracks (of which 36K on NAS and rest via Tidal Library).

Description of Issue

Since Roon 2.0 have frequently that Roon is crashing also when not playing music.

When playing music sometimes a track is halted or skipped. Does not make differences is music is played on core or some remote.

Cannot state if music played via NAS or Tidal gives more issues.

Can tell that loading tracks from Tidal is now taken longer.

Hi @DFR,

I am looking at diagnostics and see a whole host of network errors occurring. They are relevant to our account server verification, image cache downloads, radio, device mapping, and also to your storage share (\LACIE2NET).

I might suggest a fresh install of Roon as a first step but the logging indicates that your \music is available and then unavailable and that paints a picture of an overall networking problem.

You mention that your home is hardwired. Can you give me more information about your modem and how your hardwired home is connected to the network? Are there switches involved and are they managed or unmanaged?

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Wes,

In the meantime switched back to 1.8 (worked better) and sent my laptop from an upgrade to 16 gb RAM. This just came back today and gave it a fresh new install of 2.0. So let’s hope for improvements. Streaming now.

Network:
In my country most of telephone and cable company internet enters the house where also electricity comes in (at the fuse box). There the router as given by the ISP is put in bridge mode and linked to the Orbi router. The Orbi router handles the wired and wifi (Mesh) network. There are several switches in the house. All unmanaged. One behind the router as the router has limited amount of ports. From this switch the main wired connection go through the house (TV room, work area, upstairs music room, other rooms). On this first switch also the NAS (LaCie) is connected to. The wire that enters the upstairs music room is also fed into a switch which feeds Laptop (Roon Core), networked CD player, and old simple audio device (hardly used). That set up is there for years and was / is working fine. Also in days when still using JRiver. The wired connection give a throughput of around 250 - 300 Mbps.

Any recommendations on Network especially as issue came with installment of 2.0

It sounds like you’re observing best practices to put it lightly. Well done.

Let me know how things go with your current streaming and the updated RAM.

Wes

At first the RAM did not do the trick and still (although less) had the same problem with Roon frequently crashing. However with a forced re-installment of the latest Windows update there looks in the last days an improvement going on (no crashes and more happy streaming). Have still feeling that longer playlist / radio sometimes is still interrupted. In general keeping fingers crossed, if frequently crashing comes back will let you know.

PS. Secondly it seems, but not figured out details yet, that Roon with a Remote Desktop apps on and then system going into sleep mode might gives some issues as well (GL drivers ?).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.