Roon 2.0, Internet Access, MacOS requirements - I'm furious

I cant tell you how angry what i am learning is making me. Roon “upgraded” to 2.0 without any clear warning that i would lose the ability to access it from 75% of my laptops, and could only run it with internet access (huh? what about when we are in places without internet geniuses? or it fails for some reason?). I am now stuck with my ROCK upgraded, two laptop controllers upgraded - and the rest not working. Furthermore i am now with a music system with a single point of failure called internet.

This is idiotic, but also the cavalier upgrade without giant warnings is just plain wrong. The downgrade path, based on what i see, will be painful an anything and i have not yet determined how much worse it will be on ROCK which is basically designed as an appliance.

REALLY, REALLY not happy with both the changes and how it was (basically not) handled.

1 Like

Downgrade to Roon 1.8 Legacy while you still can. The ability to downgrade will not last forever.

thanks, yea, but how on a ROCK? There is no specific set of instructions on how.

See section titled “RoonOS Core 1.8 Legacy (Nucleus / ROCK)”

Roon Core Machine

ROCK, Intel NUC

Networking Gear & Setup Details

irrrelevant

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

irrelevant

Description of Issue

I need simple, easy directions to downgrade to roon 1.8.

I use many old laptops as bridges and remotes and cant lose 90% of them

I cannot be limited to listening to music when internet is up and working.

These HUGE issues were not made clear when it went ahead and upgraded me.

Your instructions tend to assume a PC/MAC. How to load a file to a NUC/ROCK is beyond me guessing. Its your proprietary system. I see no specific instructions for that in your FAQ.

You ought to reimburse me at my billing rate for the time i will sink into this folly.

Danny posted the link in your other thread…

I merged this back into your original posting, it will not help creating new threads on the same subject, rather it is inclined to dilute the information.
Thank you

I already scanned that page. I dont see a listing for ROCK.

Not under the above section as highlighted by Danny?

I will search for that, again. thanks.

Its the following Section I copied from the FAQ which has been linked twice previously.

The following section is how to put your ROCK (or Nucleus) onto 1.8 Legacy.

===================================================================

RoonOS Core 1.8 Legacy (Nucleus / ROCK):

The names below in red are case-sensitive, capitalization matters (I made them bold for easier use)

1. Go to the /Data/ folder on your RoonOS Core (instructions) and create a new folder called branches

2. Download the following file: roon_1-8 (It should be named roon_1-8 and saved with no file extension)

3. Copy the file into the branches folder previously created

4. Rename the file to roon (instructions on how to rename files: Windows / MacOS)

5. In the Web Interface, click “Reinstall” under Operating System

When you are done, you should have a file called roon in the branches folder like so:

Download links for your Roon Remote (Legacy):

iOS App Store

Android Play Store
Android Manual Install (Link to APK)

regarding remotes for V2.0. One of the two problems i had was the inability to use older laptops as remotes/controllers and bridges. I am migrating away toward dedicated home-made bridges, bit the remote bit is a big convenience. Note we are talking full macs and PCs., nto phones or tabs.

Is there a v2.0 remote client that works on older macs and pre-10 Windows? I have always seen full Roon in the downloads. And, well, it wont work any more.

I am fairly certain that there is no such facility in 2.0. Depending on the age and spec of the Mac’s there is software in the form of patches that allows you to use Catalina.

Hi @Just_Me,

Roon 2.0 Remote isn’t compatible with 1.8 Legacy. You need to reinstall 1.8 on your Remote machines using the links here. When installing, set the machine up as a Remote (rather than Core) and you’ll be all set!

Hi Jamie - thanks but i’m asking the reverse. If at some point i choose to or have to move to 2.0, i am asking how to fix one of the issues: i cannot use my older laptops to control Roon because v2 wont run on them. I’m asking if there is a client/remote only that does.

I’m grasping for solutions.

If your laptop with its current operating system can not run Roon 2.0, you need to update the operating system to one that is supported.

If your laptop’s hardware is not supported by an operating system that is supported by Roon 2.0, then you can not use that laptop for Roon 2.0.

There are some client/remotes built by the users from this community that are web-based, but they are very much limited in functionality compared to the Roon Remote.

Can you tell us what your “older laptops” are? Maybe we can suggest something.

1 Like

Older Roon Remote devices that won’t run Roon 2.0 is one reason to stay on Roon 1.8 Legacy. The requirement for working internet at all times would be another reason.

1 Like

Correct. In fact that’s the biggest reason am downgrading for now.

1 Like

to Danny. I understand all that. I know i need 10.15 or WIN10 to run roon core/full ron. For the 3rd time i am asking if there is a client only that i can run on older machines. If you require a list they are:

1. MAcOS el Cap (1)
  2. Mac OS Sierra (2)
  3. Win 7

All three are limited to those OSes either by hardware or other old software requirements. I love having laptops everywhere from which i can control Roon I see nothing in v2 that i find particularly compelling. So for now 1.8 it is.

But i may have to upgrade or may find something i want in 2.0. The i’d like to sue those laptops to control it - not merely crummy little phones and tablets without keyboards. I asked a very specific question for a very specific set of reasons.

Those are old very old versions. Nothing last forever. While Roon 1.8 Legacy may continue to work for a long time, I don’t think Roon plans to support it with updates, etc. beyond 12/31/2022.