Roon 2.0 is unable to fully control the sound volume on Dragonfly Cobalt [Ticket In]

Roon Core Machine

My Roon Core is docker based (using steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver:latest as docker image)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

The docker host machine (Linux) is on Ethernet to router, and my Mac (on MacOS 12.6) is connected to the local net via Wi-Fi 6.

Connected Audio Devices

I use Dragonfly Cobalt (Roon tested USB DAC) as audio device.

Number of Tracks in Library

I have 16447 tracks.

Description of Issue

I use Dragonfly Cobalt (Roon tested) as audio device.

• Before opening Roon

• MacOS uses Cobalt as audio device.
    • I set the sound volume to about 10% on MacOS.
  • After opening Roon

• Roon takes over Cobalt as audio device (exclusive mode)
    • I then try to adjust the sound volume in Roon.
  • Observations:

• Even I set the volume to 100 in Roon. Cobalt still outputs low volume to my headphone.
  • Recall : When Cobalt is in exclusive usage in Roon, I cannot control sound volume from MacOS native controller. However, it seems that Roon has exclusive but not full control of this audio device (Cobalt) at least no full control in terms of sound volume.

• Current solution:

• Pause the music (wait about 10 second so that Cobalt is released form Roon exclusive mode)
    • Switch MacOS output to Cobalt
    • Set volume to 100 in MacOS Sound controller
    • Get back to Roon
    • adjust volume in Roon
    • start listenning.

My comment: My current solution is very inconvenient because after closing Roon I shall never forget to re-adjust the system volume (in MacOS Sound controller) from 100% back to an affordable sound level before any other use. However, my bad memory always surprises me.

Summary: After upgrading to Roon 2.0, Roon is unable to fully control the sound volume on Dragonfly Cobalt

Is this a normal behaviour? I don’t thing this issue has been existing before Roon 2.0 update.

Hi @Wang_GAO,

We were able to reproduce this behavior on macOS.

I’ve filled a ticket for the dev team to investigate.

-John

1 Like

Great Thanks

Wang

I’m actually glad you are looking at this. Normally the volume control is way too coarse on my Dragonfly Cobalt. It simply gets too loud, too fast with 0-10 (out of 100) being the usable volume for comfortable listening. Also, even at a volume of 0, there is still music playing. Audioquest claims a “64-position, 64-bit, bit-perfect” volume control but something is not right. I can also reproduce the OPs issue as well, but not always. Perhaps they are related. I’m using a Macbook Air M2.

Indeed, this is another issue that occur to me, as well. But I do not remember if this problem had already been there before upgrading to Roon 2.0.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Roon Server Machine

Windows 11, Ryzen 7 7700, 32GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquiti networking equipment, connected via Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

DragonFly Red

Number of Tracks in Library

665 tracks

Description of Issue

The volume control in Roon in exclusive mode to the DAC appears to be limited to the volume of the device before Roon started. As far as I can tell, it’s exactly the same thing as described here:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-2-0-is-unable-to-fully-control-the-sound-volume-on-dragonfly-cobalt/215206.

According to that thread, a ticket was filed for the dev team to investigate but it’s been over a year and this still appears to be an issue.