Roon 2 version 1228 Early Access - Lag/Latency

Hi All, during the last couple of releases it’s become very obvious there is a considerable delay between selecting a function/event and it actually happening, frequently 2 - 3 seconds from initiation to action.

Core = Win11.64bit.Pro / Client = iPad pro 12.9” / iPhone 13 / Router BT Smarthub (ethernet to core).

Had anyone else experienced problems?

I haven’t noticed FWIW (macOS/iPad/ROCK)

Same behavior as @Suedkiez on W11, no issues with lag seen on any device (iOS, Mac, Windows 11 Remotes).

Are there any changes to your WiFi network?

Nothing that I have done……

Tried all the usual restarts of the network/devices but no success ….

Assuming you have a dual-band or tri-band router, are your iOS devices able to connect to the 5 GHz WiFi network, or can you force this in case they are trying to connect to the more congested 2.4 GHz network?

Unfortunately the router doesn’t allow splitting of bands, the only option is disable them individually which, of course, is impractical…

Agree, and iOS does not allow you to set the preferred band either. I’m wondering if a neighbor or some other device is suddenly becoming a source of interference. Happened to me a few years ago when a neighbor placed their router in an upstairs window facing our home, took out our network until I added a mesh WiFi system.

I’ve scanned local area but nothing obvious is showing up, I’m starting to wonder if there’s some strange broadband issue. I’ll have to run wireshark and see if that reveals anything…

1 Like

It doesn’t but it does allow you to manually select it:

tl/dr hold down option/alt while clicking on the wifi thing in the menu bar.

But that’s macOS and not iOS

1 Like

well, I just applied palm to forehead. Thanks for calling that out.

2 Likes

I googled for iOS and only found suggestions to split the wifi into separate 2.4 and 5 networks

1 Like

The latency problem persists, hit play & approximately 5 - 10 seconds later the music starts.
This is most noticeable playing an album from the start, pause/play responses are normal (near instant).

@Early_Access any thought on this please?

Hi @PixelPopper
I only get a delay when using Airplay. I’m not sure of your setup so can’t shed much light.

See post #1

Is the delay only between hitting play and the music starting or, as it was in the OP, delay between any function and it actually happening?

1 Like

Apologies, my OP wasn’t clear. The issue has always been latency when hitting play & the actual music starting. It has become more noticeable recently and the delay longer.

Read twice and reply once. I didn’t do that. I now understand what you’re referring to.

1 Like

I see. Wondering if that’s with streaming only, and do you get a throbbing play bar graphic before the music starts? Because that’s what I have sometimes, here:

I don’t see the issue with the bar graphic but the topic makes wonder if local firmware updates have necessitated a resync delay change, I’ll try that later…

My problem appears affect Local & Streamed files…

1 Like