Roon 943 on QNAP 5 loses contact with endpoints until

Roon Core Machine

QNAP TVS-h1688x, Intel Xeon W-1250 (6 cores, 12 threads), 96 GB RAM
QuTS Hero

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Unifi Dream Machine Pro
Unifi Aggregate Switch
QNAP server uses two 10gbit/sec links into the Unifi Aggregate Switch using link aggregation 802.3ad

Connected Audio Devices

Oppo UDP-205 (network and USB connection through RP4 running RoPieeeXL/Roon Bridge/NAA for HQPlayer)
Oppo HA-2 (USB connection through RP4 running RoPieeeXL/Roon Bridge/NAA for HQPlayer)
Oppo UDP-203 (network)
All connections except phones/iPads are wired gigabit Ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

56,000 total tracks

Description of Issue

I recently upgraded Roon server and most clients to 943 without incident. This was a week after I had rebuilt the server from factory reset in order to replace primary hard drives with larger ones. The day before the problem I had also upgraded from QuTS Hero to Roon played using .2022 for several hours until it stopped abruptly without warning or any intervention in the interface.

I noticed that Roon (using the client on a Mac) said that it didn’t have an endpoint chosen, which was weird. When I clicked to select one, I noticed that all endpoint references were gone except for HQPlayer. I have two HQPlayer setting in Roon for my Oppo 205 and Oppo HA-2 respectively. Both HQPlayer references were there, but neither of them could play.

In Settings->Audio, no Endpoints showed up at all except HQPlayer. No Apple TVs or Airports I have on the network, none of the Oppo players or their RP4/RoPieeeXL/Roon Bridge companions, not even the physical ports on the QNAP itself. Curiously, the Roon Bridge software on the RP4/RoPieeeXL devices did show up in Settings->About.

So I was completely down with no way to play music and no apparent way out or something that I could point to as something I did. But then I decided to try something. I brought out an old Mac laptop that had an older Roon Client (931) but I told it not to update itself. I went into the Settings->Audio screen and lo and behold, all of the endpoints now showed up. What’s more, they now showed up on all other Roon Clients in my house that weren’t showing endpoints before, including my iPhone and iPad. And music played on all endpoints.

So now i have no idea what happened here or why the older copy of Roon Client helped the Roon Core find the endpoints again. Needless to say, I’m holding off upgrading this one machine in case this happens again. Any ideas?

Hi @Sevenfeet,

Thank you for reaching out and providing full details in your post. I’m glad to hear that you’ve been able to temporarily restore connectivity to all endpoints with the older version Mac client for now.

When you next have time to troubleshoot, I’d first try a RAATServer refresh. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

  • Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

We’ll keep an eye out for your response and proceed with next steps from there.

I’ve done all that was asked. Roon came back up, created a new RAATServer folder and is currently playing for me. I guess the only thing to do at this point is to wait to see if it happens again unless you want the old RAATServer database to look at or something else.

Hi @Sevenfeet,

Great news that playback is restored! Please do reach back out here (or start a new thread if this one has automatically closed) if the issue returns.

The tech support team briefly enabled diagnostics on your machine to have a look at a set of logs. We’ll investigate those for any telltale sign for what might have caused your endpoints to disappear and reach out if there’s something you’ll need to adjust to prevent the issue from recurring. Otherwise, I would expect stable performance with Build 943 after the database refresh.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.