Roon and a new network

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Sonic transporter i5 Roon ver 1.7, build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Spectrum modem, EdgeRouterX SFP, ER switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Berkeley Alpha USB, Berkeley Ref 3 DAC

Description Of Issue
I just set up a fiber network with a new modem and router. I’m still using the same server.

1. Do I need to re-register with Roon?
  2. The new router will assign a new IP address to the server I assume. Can I just change the server IP address in Roon?

No. You’ll log in to the server as you always did and Roon will figure it out.

It’s better to fix the IP address for the server on the router side if you can.

When you say log in to the server do you mean open Roon on my iPad? If I do that it asks me to assign a new core.

Can you post a screenshot from the iPad?

Sorry, I get the standard lost connection , trying to reconnect… message. I was looking at the Select a different core at the bottom.

Yes, click select a different core. It should find the core at the new address.

Roon is searching but nothing is happening. The ST i5 is on but do I need to connect it to the new network? If so how?

Do you still have the switch you used previously?
I’m wondering whether the new switch is preventing discovery of the ST core.
edit: I suppose that may not be possible with a fiber network. Don’t know how that all works. Is the new switch unmanaged or managed?

It looks like the EdgeRouterX is not broadcasting any light. It doesn’t have the latest firmware which I’ll take care of this morning.

1 Like

Hi @KenS,

I would also check to see if you haven’t by any chance set a static IP for the SonicTransporter when it was on the previous network, if you did, you’ll also want to switch over to DHCP and set a Reserved IP in your router configuration.

I’ll check but I don’t think so. The Night Hawk router has changed the ST IP address a few times. I’m having a lot of trouble with the new EdgeRouterX SFP so until I get it properly operating I won’t be able to transfer anything.

1 Like

The Sonic Transporter is set to DHCP. One strand of the fiber is broken so we have to run another cable. When that’s done how do I migrate Roon to the new fiber network? I’m still not clear on that.

If you are just plugging the ST into a different network, you don’t need to do anything. The database really won’t be affected. Your devices will need to be re-identified to new IPs, but I’d think Roon will recognize their MAC addresses and likely will keep the names, etc.
If you kept your music on the ST, it will also be recognized.
But make a database backup via Roon anyway. Just for safety sake.

The general idea with migrating a core (to a new machine) is to make a backup of the system via Roon, plug in the new machine, and restore the backup to the new machine. You’ll probably be asked to deauthorize the old machine. But for you, it should be very easy.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Backup

I do regular database backups so no problem there. So I just plug the Sonic Transporter into the new network, open Roon and let it do it’s thing?

Yep. It’s just a new router, not a new core. When Roon goes through its discovery process, all the old pieces should fall into place.

assuming you havent made it a fixed IP address ie its still DHCP it should find an address and be visible again. A fixed IP address might still work but will depend on the new router networking settings.

If the switch is new as well it’s best to have IGMP snooping enabled on it.

Yes, just connect the SonicTransporter to the new network and you should be good to go. Let us know how it goes!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.