Roon and AirPlay on WiiM Mini

Well naturally :grin:
I hope the RR comes soon though.
Otherwise I might just have to get one for Chromecast and not Roon Ready uses.

1 Like

The Mini doesn’t support Chromecast. Only the Pro does. So you’ll get Roon Ready with that one anyways if you get the Pro.

1 Like

I’ve been playing a playlist with local files for a few hours now. So far no stops.

I did notice that I have to restart the Roon Core or reboot the MacBook Air on which it resides quite often. As I got a bad connection error earlier this week on my phone while at work using Roon ARC.

Maybe that also influences the AirPlay drops on the WiiM Mini.

Yes sorry I was talking about the Pro.
Not available yet in the UK

That will be memory issue to I bet as the Chromecast stack is resource hungry.

Yes that is why I think it is only on the Pro, and I was never convinced that Roon was coming to the standard mini.

All these heavy protocols, just don’t work well on the small memory and processor device’s.

Thing is Roon claim RAAT and bridge are lightweight but they are not compared to other protocols. Squeezlite is tiny footprint.

1 Like

Lightweight compared to what would be the question.

Airplay seems to run on almost anything, but doesn’t have the feature’s of Roon RAAT or Chromecast and therefore I almost never use it

My Harman Kardon Citation One speakers have both Chromecast and AirPlay. While my WiiM Mini and my Apple devices (2 MacBooks and iPhone) by default only support AirPlay. Of course I can access Chromecast through the Chrome browser. But in my case, AirPlay is far more useful.

Still wouldn’t mind the WiiM Mini having RAAT as option. But oh well. It plays on Roon through AirPlay.

1 Like

That is pretty much what I was saying about Airplay, it is Almost as ubiquitous as Bluetooth, because of its lightweight nature and ready availability of protocol code.

I personally don’t like that it goes through the device and prefer what Chromecast and Roon does in handing off the source to the streaming devices. But Airplay from Roon is great as it is not tied to the phone. I think that is great from an availablity point of view.

2 Likes

There seem to be plans that WiiM will create a second firmware which will enable Roon Ready by disabling other features. Which should be ok by me, as I only use the WiiM as an endpoint.

Makes sense to please those customers but more work for them maintaining two branches.

I wrote to support yesterday asking them about Roon ready for the mini. They wrote back a couple hours later and confirmed that it IS coming in a split firmware. Very good news.

7 Likes

I’ve ordered one of these this week and it arrived yesterday. My Roon Core (2017 MacBook Air) doesn’t have an Ethernet port, so I now have Ethernet connected to one of the 2 USB ports. The other is taken by the 2 tb hard drive which houses my local music collection.

Roon has been AirPlay-ing to my WiiM Mini all day without hiccups so far. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Could be the best Euro’s I’ve spent this week.

5 Likes

On the WiiM website;

For WiiM Pro owners, we plan to integrate Roon Ready in Q1 2023. This will happen through an automatic software update.

Please note:

• Roon Ready will first be available on WiiM Pro.
  • Due to WiiM Mini’s limited memory, we are developing device firmware that will include Roon Ready and other basic functions like AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, and will not have some of the other features on the general firmware distributed to all users. We plan to launch it sometime this year. Please stay tuned. The general device firmware will have complete features without Roon Ready.

no jokes about my name :wink:

6 Likes

Je ziet ze (WiiM Mini) vlieghe? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But this sounds like good news to me. AirPlay works really nice with Roon already. But having it Roon Ready would be even better. :+1:

2 Likes

I have a Wiim mini so this is good news.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I’m looking for – a better option than Sonos Port that’s $300 cheaper! I’m buying it now, since the Chromecast devices work great with Roon too. Will updates on Roon Ready be posted in this thread?

Unlikely. Keep an eye on the WiiM Roadmap webpages.

1 Like

Roon Ready isn’t on the roadmap for the Mini anymore.

https://wiimhome.com/Roadmap.html