Roon and DSD issues [Antipodes settings]

In the Antipodes settings:

Andrew,

Obviously I donā€™t know a lot about this but at least Iā€™m getting somewhere. Thanks for your help. Iā€™ve enclosed some screen grabs. I got the Auralic to be connected with Roon Ready. And I can chose the maximum bit rate. But now I get the message ā€œTransport. Failed to open the audio device.ā€ Of the options in the link you sent which should I be following? I decided on the last one. But I must have done something wrong. Should both Roon Ready and Roon Core be running or only one or the other? Again, sorry for the stupidity. But I feel Iā€™m really close to a solution.

Just Roon Ready. In Antipodes Settings/Roon Server uncheck ā€˜Local Playbackā€™:

Firstly, thereā€™s no question of stupidity here. The forum Support section exists to help people use Roon and the Roon staff and volunteer mods feel very strongly that all users should have no hesitation in asking anything that is blocking their use of Roon. I had trouble with some drivers when I first installed Roon and other users on the forum helped me, so we are all in the same boat.

Tony can best answer the queries about Antipodes settings and has done so above.

My comments above about using Roon Ready on top of Roon Core (or Roon Bridge on top of Roon Server, in a non certified environment) were made because I donā€™t understand the advantage of running an Output program (Roon Ready/Roon Bridge) on top of a Core/Output program (Roon Core/ Roon Server). To my mind it just adds a (small) additional resource load on the Antipodes. One of the aims of the Antipodes is to have as small a computing footprint as required, so it seems at odds with that philosophy. Antipodes materials say that there is a small sonic advantage from doing so. I donā€™t understand why.

In your case I would definitely reccomend following Tonyā€™s advice, he knows the product and I donā€™t.

So apologies if my comment about not understanding the rationale behind running both programs has resulted in any confusion. Itā€™s just that I have no shame about asking ā€œdumbā€ questions when I donā€™t understand something; and you shouldnā€™t either :blush:.

Looking forward to hearing that the last setting as per Tonyā€™s advice above has gotten things fixed for you.

Andrew (and Tony):

Thanks for all your help. I didnā€™t really quite understand it allā€“but it worked. Not only can I play DSD files now, it sounds actually better than it did before. I spent a couple of hours last night listeningā€“itā€™s amazing the difference. And I donā€™t even know why. Anyway, thanks to both of you.

Rick McQuiston

1 Like