Roon and Fault Tolerance for damaged files

@rolski posted a support thread that got me thinking and I thought it might be a good discussion so I am starting it here with a link to the original post.

My first question is to the devs, what is the envisioned fault tolerance of Roon and the role Roon can/should play in reporting to the user about those “faulty” files. I know that Roon currently scans and marks files corrupt, but should it do more to assist the user in figuring out why those files are “Corrupt”.

Personally, I think that Roon should be extremely aggressive in deciding if a file is corrupt. I would rather have a file indicated as such and work to fix it, than to go to play something and have weird things happen. Personally, in such a situation, like roland, I would investigate all things for the source of the problem. I suspect though that most would just blame the player Roon than the file; especially if it seems to play in other systems.

It would be useful to have some type of error codes to go along with “corrupt”. That would go a long way to helping the user figure out what is wrong. But, if nothing else, maybe a reference document that can help people who may not know what options are out there for fixing their files, ie. “What does it mean and what can you do if you get a file labeled “Corrupt””.

1 Like

Having recently finished re-ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC using dBpoweramp, I know I have many tracks that did not pass AccurateRip and some of those have audible issues on playback. When I focus on “Corrupt” tracks in Roon, none of those tracks are listed, actually no tracks whatsoever are listed as corrupt.

So the vast majority of my FLAC files have AccurateRip data in the embedded metadata. It would be nice to be able to filter on whether they are “Accurate”, “Secure” or “Unsecure”.

Other than querying the AccurateRip database, I’m not sure what else Roon can do to verify the integrity of the different file formats that it supports. I don’t believe there is any concept of a “continuity counter” like what you would get if you were encapsulating the audio content in a container for streaming like MPEG-TS existing in any of the typical audio encoding formats.

Wow, when I did my re-rip project, I did over 3k CDs and had less than 30 with errors. I did burn through 3 CD Drives though.