Roon and HiFiBerry

I noticed hifiberry in the RoonReady release notes, so assume they’ll have their own category here soon…:wink:

For anyone already running one with RoonBridge, what’s the best way to migrate to RoonReady? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Let’s ping @mike about a Hifiberry section.

To migrate your Hifiberry to RoonReady: download the Roon image from Hifiberry, flash to a different SD-card, boot your Pi.

You’ll gain some nice artwork:

Otherwise, there’s no functional difference. The RoonReady implementation is tailored to your Hifiberry’s hardware, so a few generic config options are missing. As for as updates go, you’ll be dependant on Hifiberry, while Roon Bridge installations update themselves with new Roon releases.

I’ve been running Hifiberry’s image for a few weeks now (loaded it for testing, been too lazy to swap cards again) without issues. But I’ll revert to Roon Bridge whenever I find the time.

Thanks RBM.
Can you still ssh into the OS? I have the onboard sound devices disabled for example.

I might be unique, but I don’t actually really like the device specific artwork on the main GUI. Well, that’s not telling the whole picture - I like the custom artwork in the signal chain or settings, but for my zones I really want custom artwork. In my world my lounge should be a Devialet graphic and in the bedroom a Marshall speaker graphic. Or a symbol for lounge and bedroom. My point is, no one in my household (me included and I’m obviously into this stuff) thinks of the zones in terms of the DAC or streamer or whatever. No one even knows I have a raspberry pi behind the chest of drawers in the bedroom or a microrendu behind the hifi. So it just doesn’t make sense. I wish we could make and specify our own. That in itself will probably keep me on RoonBridge on the Pi!

So RoonReady devices don’t update themselves, or offer the updates via Roon?

Hifiberry’s image is closed – you can’t ssh in. All onboard audio is disabled though.

As RoonReady is a device specific implementation, I guess updates are the manufacturer’s responsibility. For what I’ve seen with IQ Audio and Hifiberry, this means reflashing the card.

It’s perfectly fine to run RoonBridge though – sound wise and functionally it is the same stuff.

1 Like

[quote=“hifi_swlon, post:24, topic:8456, full:true”]
I like the custom artwork in the signal chain or settings! but for my zones I really want custom artwork. In my world my lounge should be a Devialet graphic and in the bedroom a Marshall speaker graphic. Or a symbol for lounge and bedroom. My point is, no one in my household (me included and I’m obviously into this stuff) thinks of the zones in terms of the DAC or streamer or whatever. No one even knows I have a raspberry pi behind the chest of drawers in the bedroom or a microrendu behind the hifi. So it just doesn’t make sense.

I wish we could make and specify our own. [/quote]
Sounds like a Feature Request to me - and one that I would readily support.

1 Like

Pretty sure I’ve got at least one in already! :grin:

Thanks RBM, a fountain of knowledge as always.

I had been wondering about the microRendu actually. It would be nice if roon bridge evolved so that even though the manufacture makes the updates, you could still se the current and available versions, as well as instigate their update via Roon’s settings roonbridge style. Reflashing a card seems quite ott but I guess they are dealing with possible OS changes too.

I won’t leap to change I don’t think.

Sonore have created their own update system for the SonicOrbiter SE and microRendu, which allows for in situ updates – for the OS as well as their RoonReady and NAA implementations.

The HiFiBerry RoonReady image is working much better for me than the recent versions of RoonBridge on Raspbian. With the last couple of updates of RoonBridge I started getting frequent network dropouts over wifi. Switching to the RoonReady image it’s rock solid again.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I tried to set up a RPi with Hifiberry’s Roon image and get the wifi to work, but I did not succeed. While it showed up on the network, it was never recognized by Roon. Any tips?

I’m trying power line ethernet to see if it will work well enough and be stable. Maybe it’s better than wifi?

Thanks to all for the great and ongoing conversations, they are of great service!

Hi Lanny,

I found on the Hifiberry forum that their Roon image 1.1 is not working properly. Their release 1.06 works better.

2 Likes

The Hifiberry Roon image 1.1 doesn’t work at all with my Dac+ Pro. :frowning:
Any idea where the old image can be found?

Here is the link to the HifiBerry forum with the image link:

http://downloads.hifiberry.com/images/roon-1.0.6.img.zip

1 Like

Thanks, that works fine. :slight_smile:

An important information, as reading on our forum I got the notion that Hifiberry RoonReady image is closed.
It is not. Don’t know from when on exactly, but it is login-able now.

U:pi, P:hifiberry.
It is a Debian/Jessie build, so… $ sudo raspi-config for password change through a menu.

2 Likes

It was definitely closed at the time, with the Hifiberries defending their decision.

Good to see things have turned around. Time to redownload and poke around a bit. :wink:

2 Likes