Roon and HQP possible setup - Mac Roon, PC HQP

Hi,

I have Roon server running on a Mac Mini, and a PC that has HQPlayer 3.16 running on it.

Is it possible to have a setup that would send the stream from Mini to PC through HQP and output through the ASIO drivers of the PC to a DAC via USB?

If in Roon setup you add the IP address of the PC with HQP on it (obviously all on the same network) Select the ASIO driver in settings menu in HQP and press the network icon in HQP, you’re good to go.

.sjb

1 Like

I’d wish that would work. I’m not getting a connection. Is there any kind of diagnostic I could run?

Error message from Roon “Transport:Couldn’t connect to HQPlayer”

Can you screenshot your Roon audio settings showing HQP in the list?

I’m presuming HQP on the PC works directly to DAC without Roon?

.sjb

1 Like

Of course there is the caveat that I’m presuming this will work because it will between 2 Windows devices. I can’t see why it wouldn’t though.

I’d always do a full reboot of both machines to be sure to be sure.

Also it’s worth pruning your HQP license information as it has your email address on it.

.sjb

2 Likes

Hi John

Can you show a screenshot of your HQP settings too?

Yep, HQP works fine with DAC when used directly.

Hi John,

So what’s not working? In your opening post you said “Is it possible to have a setup that would send the stream from Mini to PC through HQP and output through the ASIO drivers of the PC to a DAC via USB?”

Do you mean you’re trying to get HQP to work over the network? If yes, you’ll need to choose a different ‘backend’ device.

Sean, I’m trying to use my laptop effectively as the endpoint to a DAC.

Roon server is on the mac mini, and using Roon on the laptop as the controller trying to send it through HQP on the (same) laptop to a DAC via USB.

No worries John. But when you said “Yep, HQP works fine with DAC when used directly” I got confused with what’s working and not working. I’m a little slow though, so apologies.

I’m guessing you mean HQP works standalone on the laptop, with no Roon involved?

Also it’s a little hard to read the screenshot of your HQP settings. Just wanted to have a look if there’s something there that’s causing the issue.

Well Roon is not seeing HQP from the settings as it says volume control is fixed whereas it’s -60 to zero. Mind you we knew it wasn’t working.

The IP address 192.168.86.36 is your laptops IP address?
Have you tried disabling any antivirus on both machines?
How are both machines connected to the network?

.sjb

1 Like

Solved - yep it was the firewall. Opened it up, now connected. Then reactivated firewall and still keeping connection.

Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 31 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.