Roon and my next step

I agree with that too and a lot of people only seek out the forums when they have trouble. I just feel happy to commit to Roon, but less so to change my system for it yet.This also buys time so more funds could be available. I took a lot of things into consideration.

Absolutely, take your time and enjoy the purchasing process.

Hi Steve,

no idea how exchange rates have changed since I bought lifetime back in June last year but I recall it cost around £360.

1 Like

XE Currency Converter: USD to GBP
500 USD =358.066GBP

I have just committed to Lifetime Roon. I have had a couple of issues but I think it could be a WiFi issue with my IPad rather than Roon. I love the integration with Tidal so now just a decision on the new piece of kit. May even explore options on how to get a more stable network connection to see if that is the issue here. Thanks for all the help on here.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, why don’t you start a “Roon works great today” and we can all chime in :grinning: .

Yes, people recommend that. But I currently have my fanless Nucleus-with-SSD next to the hifi gear, and I previously did that with a NUC-with-SSD without problems.

There is a difference between perfectionism and good practice.

From the perspective of the Roon Labs team, it is an advantage of the Roon architecture that the system works well in such decoupled configurations. Doesn’t make it a requirement.

(That said, a big humming desktop in the living room is not pleasant…)

We sell the sonicTransporter for a Roon Server and use a network player (microRendu) to attach to the DAC.

We have found that using a separate player and server lowers the noise to the DAC and gives better sound.

We sell the sonicTransporter for a server. But a Nucleus, NUC with ROCK, or Zenith would also work well as a Roon server.

In the case of using a noisy NUC (with a fan) you can put the NUC outside your listing room so you don’t hear it. This also works with fanless servers like the sonicTransporter or Nucleus with a USB hard drive attached. Again you can put the server outside your listening room so you don’t hear the drive motor.

Using an ultra low noise network player with a good clock makes any DAC sound it’s best.

1 Like

Well I am another 7 months down the line and it is maybe time to resurrect this thread. I have been using my lap top as the Roon core for all this time but I now think it is time to get back to my original intention. A product that will store my music and act as a Roon Core.
After a couple of days doing internet searches it appears that there are a not a lot of new options.
Innuos and Roon Nucleus appear to be the main options and Innuos appears the more complete option as it has the HD capacity already installed.
My Melco has been unplugged for 7 months basically so I think it is time to replace it. It will become Roon ready in the near future apparently but only as an endpoint and I am keen to get the lap top out of the chain as was originally intended.

Don’t know if this was mentioned farther up, but how about one of the Innuos products?

Yes I have said in above post that the Innuos is being considered. Although i need to re read this whole thread to refresh my memory :wink:

There’s also the Small Green Computer products…

Yes I will look at these too, but I am not sure how easy it is to get them in the UK

They ship to the UK including customs and VAT.

1 Like

Thank you. I would assume by the time the customs and the VAT is on then the British price in pounds will be similar to the dollar price. I will consider this and I have a local dealer who may be able to get me this also as not sure I fancy setting it all up myself.

You can by SonicTransporter kit in the UK via www.vortexbox.co.uk. They are very helpful.

1 Like

Ok I am bringing back this old thread .
The Melco is apparently close to being Roon Ready but this would still involve my lap top being in the music chain.
So I think it’s either a fan less NUC, or the enrtry level Roon Nucleus .

I want whatever I chose to be connected by USB to my Devialet as in my system and roon this gives me the best results.

I would need to add an SSD to whatever I chose. Does anyone have a recommendation as to which one ?

Can’t really go wrong with a Samsung Evo if you use and SSD. I also use WD. Look at what warranty they offer above the statutory minimum.

1 Like

The Crucial MX500 is a good choice for data; reliable and in my experience the best for returns/ replacement. I also reliably use Samsung 860 EVO and Kingston UV500 as system drives.

1 Like

Just an update to anyone who helped me on this thread.
I bought a new i7 8th Gen Lenovo lap top to replace my 5 year old Lenovo. So I moved my Core to the new lap top and started having wifi issues. I wont go into it here as I had another thread running to help me solve this.
So I have now decided the lap top is coming out of the music chain and I am going to get the Nucleus . I will probably put an SSD drive int this for my music collection.
So its now done. A long time after starting this thread I have finally made a decision…and to be honest it was more the fact that I bought a new lap top and made my Roon experience worse :wink: