Roon and Norton Anti-Virus

Roon Core Machine

Macbook Pro running latest Monterey 12.6 OS
M1 Pro
16GB memory

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin 200MBS
Wired via TP Link extenders (aware this may restrict).
Also running on wifi.
Android and iOS remotes

Connected Audio Devices

Arcam irDAC/USB
KEF LSX 50s on the same network, via android Roon remote

Number of Tracks in Library

just over 1600 albums

Description of Issue

Every time on core boot-up, I get this pop-up from Norton. I’ve accepted and blocked the access but they still appear.

Not sure what the 10.252.0.30 computer is in this instance but the IP address is different every time. Also a ‘localhost’ attempts access, is this one of my own devices?

Suspect it’s something to do with exceptions in Norton rather than anything malicious, but if anyone has any experience of how to get rid I’d be grateful.

No issues with that but abandoned Norton because I found it is slow, expensive and generally a pain (kept blocking downloads and programs without telling me, lumagen products being the most annoying). They seem to work out what sites and programs to trust by how many of their users use it which is not ideal. Moved to bitdefender and has improved performance all round (although Norton did break windows when I uninstalled it).

Sorry if this does not help. Was just my experience with Norton.

2 Likes

I can’t help with how to get rid of the popups, but I can confirm that neither are malicious.

10.252.0.30 is what’s called a Bogon IP Address, so an address that’s either related to your core machine, or another machine on your LAN. Likewise, localhost simply refers to “this computer”, i.e. the one you’re working on.

1 Like

As @DaveN wrote, the accesses are probably harmless.

To make them go away, don’t just click the Allow button while the menu says “Always ask for this connection”. By doing that, you tell it to allow it this time but, well, “always ask for this connection”.

Instead, open the menu and choose another option, probably something like “Always allow” or whatever similar option is in the menu, and then click the Allow button. This should at least work for the “localhost” question.

However, if the address that is now 10.252.0.30 changes every time, Norton may still ask about another address the next time. In this case, you will have to allow it in Norton on some higher level (not just a specific IP address), but I don’t know how to do that in Norton.

This seems to be the relevant Norton help page:

Note that it says

The Connection Blocking window lets you specify the applications, ports, services, and IP addresses that can connect to and from your Mac

The “Details” in the pop window may tell you more. Otherwise and if you or other forumers can’t figure it out, the question should be addressed to the support of the vendor who is causing it, i.e., Norton’s support. They should know how to configure their product.

3 Likes

Norton is a very good anti virus program.

Open Norton
Select Settings
Select Firewall

Select Program Control

Scroll down to RAATServer.

Make sure the RAATServer is set to “Allow”.

If it is not there, then you can also manually add it.

Hope this helps.

–MD

4 Likes

Thanks @Andrew_Munro

1 Like

Thanks @DaveN

1 Like

Thanks @Suedkiez super helpful

1 Like

Thanks @MikeD. Just need to find that view in Norton. Mine appears very differently

Oh…

Norton recently changed their format.

From what I posted was in Classiv View which is still available to switch to.

–MD

On the top right select “Open” for Device Security and then proceed to “Settings”.

–MD

1 Like

Start by deleting Norton. What could you possibly need it for? It cripples your Mac while adding negligible value. One of the benefits of having a Mac is to. It have to depend on that type of software. The built in security is good enough for nearly every user.

1 Like

Thanks @James_Hayes. I’d be happy to remove Norton but I’ve read the built-in software isn’t as capable at blocking all threats. Happy to be convinced otherwise tho.

I’ve run a live update, removed and re-added Roon as an exception to the application blocking rule and restarted. So far no pop-ups :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Things do tend to kick off though after the core has been asleep for a while i.e. overnight, so lets see.

Rubbish.
Do Macs need Antivirus or is built-in protection enough?.

2 Likes

The saying goes like this,

“I do not have a anti virus program and I never get a virus”.

Well then, how do you know if you have a virus if you do not have a anti virus program… :roll_eyes:

–MD

1 Like

If you do have antivirus software, you may also not know you have a virus :upside_down_face:

1 Like

As draining as Norton can be ive never had any security issues when ive had it installed. The one time i didnt have it i had £500 stolen.

No pop ups still :partying_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.