Roon and QNAP TVS-471

Thanks for all the input. I see now that I could have done a better job setting my configuration. That said I copied all my music to a different NAS and recreated my HDDs into a RAID5 configuration. I am now in the process of moving all my music back into the new set up. I should have things done in about two hours. I agree with Jeff that RAID5 is a better way to go. I only followed the original recommendation that was posted here to use the TVS-471 with three HDs but in a RAID1 and copy configuration. I see now that this was a flawed plan. I like this set up significantly more. Thanks again.

1 Like

Good move going to RAID5, now you have a degree of redundancy.

The audiophile community is providing a big new market for home NAS appliances compared to the more established market to tech professionals who tire of going home at night just to manage a server.

This can be an unfamiliar world, but a robust basic understanding RAID types is critical. There are a lot of resources to help explain the different types, but anyone can be forgiven for not prioritizing this over any of the other complex decisions to be made and concepts mastered.

Hereā€™s a RAID primer I found towards the top of a google search:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial

Here are a couple of rules to live by:

• RAID is not backup
  • You never have enough storage
  • Use (and test) an uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
  • Check the logs, especially drive health, regularly
  • Check for OS / firmware updates regularly

Spending extra $ on the so-called NAS specific drives does not mean you should check drive health any less often as failures will originated from multiple sources. Hereā€™s a personal example, and why I switched to RAID6.

I had my NAS configured with a 6 disc RAID5 array plus a single drive volume and a hot spare. During a short power outage, my UPS failed. The good news - 6 of my eight drives were fine. The best news, one of the drives that suffered partition table corruption was the hot spare. This meant I was able to recover the RAID volume, but for a few terrible minutes I thought all of my RAID data was toast.

Good luck!

Canā€™t stress the not a backup statementā€¦just like raid is a technology, itā€™s by no means a backupā€¦nor is a nas. A backup is a separate repository for your data where you regularly update it with changes from your master copy, and I strongly suggest more than 1 backup, and at least one being held off site, i.e. Physically removed from the premises so that a fire or theft or even act of God will not take the backup out.

1 Like

Great info. Thanks to all. I now backup my RAID5 setup to a USB drive attached to my NAS and to the cloud via Crashplan. I am working on a third backup method as I type this.

Up the learning curve, I was having some performance issues and stoppages today. Eventually I fired up the laptop to look in my QNAP NAS and noticed the RAM had built up very high 95% ish showing red.
I restarted the core app and the the laptop remote and all issues are resolved with RAM down to 24%.
My ā€˜Sort by Artistā€™ now works properly too.

Hope this helps being out thereā€¦ Chris

Curious how much ram you have in that machine. I upgraded mine to 16GB.

4 GB Ram, it took a while to get that saturated. Just something to be aware of.

Iā€™ve seen exactly this issue on Synology as well. Takes some time (~ 10 days), but it does eventually saturate.

I have a backup script that stops the server and copies the database. Iā€™m running this nightly via Task Scheduler (cron) now and it has the side-effect of keeping the memory footprint ā€œfreshā€

I havenā€™t had this issue with server uptimes of 40 days+. Are you running background audio analysis?

Thatā€™s sounds beyond my competence but now I know the issue I can do a Roon Core App restart occasionaly.
After the restart my remotes connect much more quickly.

I notice others on the forum with remote connection issues and wonder if this is part of their problem.
Chris