Roon and Qobuz Dropouts

I have just subscribed to Qobuz Hi-Fi Sublime having successfully streamed lossless TIDAL files for a year. So here is another issue streaming Qobuz Hi-Res files.

Lossless Qobuz files (192Khz/24bit) suffer from continual dropouts after 5 secs of playing.

I am using Roon Core on a SSD drive attached to my QNAP NAS TS-451 on which are stored all my music files.

The end point or streamer is a LINN Akurate Exact DSM.

When streaming hi-res files from my NAS I get no dropouts.

And here is the core point: when streaming Qobuz files using Linn Kazoo rather than Roon I get no dropouts; so for me it does point to a problem between Roon and Qobuz.

I am using Roon 1.6 (build 401 stable 64) bit.

1 Like

Hi @Anthony_Smith1,

So we can better assist you, please describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

One thing I’d like to note is that your Core machine falls below our recommended specs. With a Core that doesn’t meet our recommendations, it’s definitely possible that you’re experiencing some performance issues.

Are you using DSP at all?

If you play to a different endpoint besides the LINN, like the System Output of a remote device, does the same behavior occur?

Hi Dylan

Thanks for the reply. First of all I am not a computer wizz at all!!! So what is DSP? There you go I have demonstrated the level of my knowledge, or lack of, already!

My network is totally wired with Cat 6 cable; the router is a BT Home Hub supplied by my broadband supplier. Broadband into the house is running at 49.6Mb/s. Just tested.

Using a different end point yields the same results - dropouts with Qobuz hi-res files.

To troubleshoot I moved the core onto my iMAC (Late 2013, 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB RAM) leaving music files on the NAS - with this configuration there are no dropouts with Qobuz.

The problem may then well be an underpowered NAS.

I will stick with this configuration (Core on iMAC) for a while and see how it works.

Hi @Anthony_Smith1,

That’s great news! This Core definitely meets our recommendations, so it sounds like things should work well for you in this configuration. If you see any issues return please let us know!

A post was split to a new topic: Dropouts with Qobuz

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.